Dead snakes found in unit

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCHERPS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone see the article in yesterdays 'Daily Telegraph' ??

In the article it states that a Teenager could faces charges after police discovered 32 dead snakes and goanna's in his unit.

Authorities uncovered the dead reptiles-including king browns and death adders-after neighbours complained of a foul smell in the teen's Darwin home.

They also found a further six snakes and two goanna's in poor condition, one of which died.
The 18 year old man could face charges under the territory parks and wildlife conservation act. " Offences under this act can result in anything from a warning letter to large fine or even imprisonment," an NT widlife officer said.

Anyone in Darwin heard anymore about this??

thats shocking :( straight to jail I reckon :evil:

I agree Jordo!
If what has been written is correct, he should be banned from keeping animals and also refered to the RSPCA for possible prosecution as well.

This sort of thing does not help promote nor reflect the majority of responsible people in the Hobby, they don't deserve to keep animals IMO.

I hate hearing about these stories !!! he should not be allowed to keep pets ever again.

I've been expecting this story for a while! :roll:

I know as much as has been said in the article....just made a pretty educated guess on who the teen was.

lol wasnt me hehe, im not too sure but theres few ppl round that ethier just want to make money out of em, or show em off or just have the snake and then loose intrest but considerin the no. of animals this person is ethier very irresponcible or just plain out lazy and doesnt care

He's obviously very lazy if he left them so long the neighbours could smell the rotting corpses! Thats just plain disgusting, not to mention how irresponsible he was for letting them die in the first place, I hope he gets jail, not just the warning letter you say is the minimum punishment, I can't believe they could only give him a warning letter for that, if they were cats he'd definately go to jail!

Austrelaps said:
I know as much as has been said in the article....just made a pretty educated guess on who the teen was.

It's not somebody from this site, is it?........................................I hope not.

What gets me is that there were dead snakes - I mean, It's not like they need three meals a day, or even one big one, they can go months without food. If they starved to death, how long must it have been since he fed them?

:(

Hix

Yeah that's pretty distressing. I think it was mentioned that there were venemous snakes in amoungst theothers? I don't suppose this idiot bloke had all the correct paperwork/licences?

The public hears about this kind of stuff and classes reptile owners as irresponsible. What they don't see is that there are many people who are out there for the good of the animal and for the future of Herps.

Prison (he'll never get it/the court systems are too soft)
Fine (most definitely-a real big fat one)
Barred from keeping animals (for the rest of his life/not even a budgie)
A warning letter (Yes-Make him rewrite it and read it every day for the rest of his petty life)
Capital punishment (Why don't we all line up-Who's first?)
Make him wear a big sign stating what he has done and make him wlk up adn down the main street everyday of the week for an hour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm here for a good time - Not a long time :twisted:

Stories like these make me so upset and also bloody angry!!! :evil: It is a shame that the justice system in today's society is pretty lenient (I personally think) when it comes to punishment for animal cruelty/neglect. All animals have rights and never deserve to be treated like this EVER, and as human beings, it is our utmost responsibility to ensure the survival and wellbeing of our animals today and future generations to come. It's just sad to hear cases like these and because of the few horrid people out there mistreating animals, it ends up giving us herpers and animal lovers a bad rep :( Hopefully he gets jailtime and most importantly barred from keeping any animal for life.

Animals kept in less than optimum conditions is horrible. Having said that, perhaps we should postpone our judgement until the whole story is available. Perhaps the keeper was incapacitated in some way? Perhaps he was collecting roadkill reptiles for some reason? I have heard of reputable breeders storing dead animals in their freezer for proof of dead progeny, only to have the press state that their home was full of dead, decaying animals :shock: . The press are there to sell stories and make money, and if that avoids the truth, so be it. Just a thought?
I'm the first to condemn cruel husbandry, but wait for the whole story is all I'm suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back