This is how you should run your site (split topic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leighroyaus

Reaction score
you paying 220 a month for a server this slow? just get a american server, alot cheaper and alot faster then this. u can get a american server for 20 a month that is faster then this

leighr33 said:
you paying 220 a month for a server this slow? just get a american server, alot cheaper and alot faster then this. u can get a american server for 20 a month that is faster then this

I agree.... especially when it's paid for by users' money. It should be the duty of the site administrators to ensure that each dollar is used in a way that gains the most benefit for all.

See here? http://www.mdwebhosting.com.au/webhosting/
For $40 a month, you get DAILY backups, a 200 GIG monthly limit, 500 email accounts, etc etc etc etc...

If you can collect $480 from subscribers... that will pay for an entire year! As opposed to the $2640 your current one requires.

I say put it to those who are paying to make the choice.

Cheers,
Aaron.

EDIT - fixed the link

and before you run excuses about how server extensive the phpnuke program is, it really isnt, ive a server running with 2 os commerce portals, 1 mkportal, 3 forums (1 invision 2 phpbb2(same as urs) and i only pay 20 a month.. and its a hell of alot faster and has a hell of alot more traffic

Thought that this thread was about thanking those who have donated money - not an opportunity to 'slate' (pardon the pun) the administrators. After all the site is called Aussie Pythons and Snakes - not American Pythons and Snakes. Why not support the local bloke - rather than sending our money overseas.

Being relatively new to the herp community I really appreciate being able to come to APS - I have learnt a lot - just by reading other peoples threads. I think it is a great site and I will definately be supporting it. Good on ya Slatey!

im not taking a slate at the admins... im just pointing it out
that there is alot cheaper options which are alot better and faster most of the time

why not pump the extra money back into the community.

they may be cheaper - but shouldn't we try to find someone local to support?

i'm not up to date on all the technical stuff - but surely there's someone local who can do just as good a job as someone overseas :?

just because they are local servers most of them are actually owned by american companies so your not supporting local anyways..

Hey Leigh? I can't see your name there under the list of donations...

thats because as a webmaster myself i do not believe that in asking your members for money to run the site

especially when it is not as much as they are saying
infact it is about 10% of what they are saying.

also i did not set that topic a admin has set that topic

mate u have been sending PMs to people including me to advertise your little site....you aren't happy with this one and you have whinged plenty ...perhaps it is time you went? I resent the fact you think Slatey is ripping us off...have you met the man? Have you been to his house? No??? well i have. I am sure he isn't into this site for the money, in fact he has been running it at a loss for a long time now. Give it a break mate. If you don't like it leave. It's simple as that. You don't have to worry about him ripping you off because you haven't donated a cracker

Calm down people. We are still on slow server. That is why site is running thay slow. It will take few days to move us to new server in Brisbane. It is all paid for. I transfered $280 4 days ago. First payment is higher becaose of setup fee.
ALL WILL BE FAST SOON AND PLEASE BE PATIENT.

Regarding advice from leighr33, Who call him self webmaster. This site have usually about 50 people loged in at the same time loading pages. That is why we can't use same type of server like Leighr33 is using. Resellers can't support us on high speed.He will find out one day if his site will have same trafic as we do.

No need to be nasty here. We are trying hard and Junior is in process to move site. It takes lot of work and communication with new dedicated server in Brisbane. At the moment we stragle little to sort out security of our site. They don't have staff to do what is needed on weekend.

Slatey Junior correct me if I am wrong but APS was running on an American server... which was fine until it hit the limits of what a basic server provides and the consequences were ugly... like site down etc. Alas Slatey old man you have created a monster that has literally become too big for its (current) boots.

With a bit of luck hosting the site locally will help with access times and a chunky enough server will help build the pages quicker.

The big problem in Oz is the cost of band width - not data rates and performance.

I look forward to the move to the new site and believe it will help dramatically in how well the site performs.

Well done to the APS team!

Spot on Herptrader. Thank you for explaining this complicated situation in simple way.

All will be excelent and superspeedy soon. Be patient for few more days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back