Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have a really dumb question...

Why do some people charge more for a female snake then they do the male?

You need both to produce offspring, so one isn't more important than the other, unless you can prove me wrong :?

You only need one good male to "service" a whole number of females. you do the math$$$$$$$

In some cases snakes throw more male offspring. People think that females are more important then find out they need a male later on. Usually then they are looking for an adult and out of season so it doesnt show up as much.

hi peter,
i wish mine had a few more males, out of the 40 that i sexed we ended up with only 10 males, as i've said before we get more females up nth, i'd like to hear from other breeders like trueblue and others how many males they get, all i know is that around here where i live we have trouble finding many males, i've had to buy males from down south to pair up with all our females, lol,

but i have to agree the reason females are more because you only need 1 or 2 good males to breed with around 3 or 4 females each, this year our male did 3 females and all had amost 100% hatch rate,

cheers,
steve........

Steve, its more likely the gentics of your animals not the fact that your up north, the sex of pythons is not subject to higher or lower temps.
Most of my animals have mainly a 50/50 ratio, except for 1 female hypo coastal, and 1jungle who has mainly females, although one bhp this year had 2 thirds males in her cluch. All the rest are always pretty much 50/50.

Part of the reason is that people want to breed, often people are greedy and want more females than males, often they don't realise that this can be a big mistake (I've missed out on breeding things because the only male I had wasn't interested). Often people buy females because they want to breed, apparently not realising they also need a male. There's more to it though, people who don't want to breed usually want females (people in this category buying from me probably want females about 80% of the time, 20% they don't care) this I only partly understand. If you look at what men want to look at (look at advertising, magazines, etc etc aimed at men), it's all sexy women. Okay, that makes sense, but if you look at what women want to look at (look at advertising, magazines, etc aimed at girls and women), it's the same; good looking women. Of course, these are those of us who would prefer to see advertising consist of a list of facts about the product and only read magazines with pictures of reptiles or insects on the cover, but for some reason, they're the exception. Usually this is because men know what they want to look at and women want to be able to look like that, which perhaps explains everyone's fascination with female humans, and this 'preference' for females perhaps translates into animals too, which would explain it. Very strange species we belong to!

Is it possible that males tend to be more territorial and aggressive too or not?
Just asking, not making a statement, my male CP is more docile than the two females, but I know male beardies are more territorial.

its more likely the gentics of your animals not the fact that your up north, the sex of pythons is not subject to higher or lower temps.

hi rob,
i don't think it has anything to do with temps, but it has been something that i've been keeping in mind for a couple years, i've only bred this year, i used 1 male to 3 females and got mostly females, i know a friend who bred 3 different types of snakes last year and also ended up with mostly females, we live within a few kms of each other, i bred coastals, my friend bred darwins and 2 different types of childrens, can anybody else add their opinions?

i also agree with what sdaji said,

cheers,
steve.......

I've always found that women are more expensive no matter what the species :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back