Spider Bites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonkisses

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well am fresh out of hospital after 2 redbacks got me man what pain the hospital said there coming out by the hundreds now because of the hot and cold so i thought i might let ppl know as the pain etc am in dont wish it on anyone so look in your shoes boots etc and your beds.

After having 3 lots of anti venom with all the other drugs they pumped in me the afters are painful they said the pain could last up to 3 mths but has settled down a bit now but pls look b4 you put on anything.

My first was from the shed my second was getting washing off the line......

Sam

Housework is obviously bad for you ;-)

Glad you are on the mend.

Can you describe the pain? I presume it is localised to the site of the wound but that is pretty much a guess.

herptrader said:
Housework is obviously bad for you ;-)

Glad you are on the mend.

Can you describe the pain? I presume it is localised to the site of the wound but that is pretty much a guess.

Hmmm the pain well localised around the bites then fells like my whole arm was on fire and it just got hotter and hotter with the pain from fingers to my whole arm then underarm starting to go down my side it has be to the worst thing knowing there was nothing i could do to stop the pain just had to ride it out with the anti venom which my body did not like i would go though having a baby a million times without drugs b4 i would this again.

nasty!! what state is that in pythonkisses ~? do you usually have alot of redbacks around ~? or any other nastys like white tip spiders ?
double whammy...eh ! 2 bites !! have you tried walking up walls yet ? or shooting web from your wrists ? (well it worked for peter parker! :roll: :lol: )

I have alot of redback around my house too! thanks for the wake up call, I have two little kids and I would hate for them to get a bite!

Am so lucky my kids were not here if they had got biten well i dont think the outcome would be nice but now the weather is at the moment going crazy CHECK EVERYTHING TWICE even the beds

Moreliaman said:
nasty!! what state is that in pythonkisses ~? do you usually have alot of redbacks around ~? or any other nastys like white tip spiders ?
double whammy...eh ! 2 bites !! have you tried walking up walls yet ? or shooting web from your wrists ? (well it worked for peter parker! :roll: :lol: )

Moreliaman, this is in NSW.

I was on a job in January and a tiler that was there killed 5 funnel web spiders in one day. And they were all where the homeowners little kids play :shock:

The other morning i slipped out of bed while still dark and put shorts on and suddenly felt something walking down my leg. I looked down and saw a white tip spider on my thigh. I immediately kicked my leg into the air and the spider went sailing. Such a shock. It could have easily got into my bed and bitten me anywhere :shock:

They say that red back spiders are one of Australia's most dangerous creatures. I have even heard it argued that they the most dangerous animal. It is not because there bite will kill you because in the vast majority of cases they won't. The reason is that they their bite can knock you about quite a bit and you are very often encountered. They share the environment in which we live. Even the Sydney funnel web, which has a far more lethal venom, is considered less dangerous by some because it lives under our houses and not in them and the things we use a lot around our houses.

Thanks for the description of the "pain". Most descriptions of venoms only talk about how likely they are to kill you, now how they affect you, what the side effects are etc. etc.

Thanks for the warning. A guy at my work got bitten by a white tail about a month and a half ago out near campbeltown, he was in hospital for 2 weeks. At my place near Bankstown I see redbacks fairly often and we have also seen a few white tails around lately, we are always fairly careful about checking but I think I'll be extra careful for the next little while.
I hope you feel better soon!

Rennie said:
At my place near Bankstown !

Do you have a pit bull and a shot gun as well? :)

(from a former resident of Fairmount St & Yerrick Rd lakemba)

Nah, just 8 little terrors (oops, terriers), the barks seem to keep most people away, the alarm now keeps the rest away! :D

Just for everyone's info.

A red-back bite should not be treated like a normal spider bite (pressure immobilisation bandage technique). Its reccomended the bite site is massaged to disperse the venom within the tissue in an attempt to minimise extreme localised pain.

This is to be used ONLY for red back bites. All other spider bites must be treated just like a snake bite.

Pythonkisses - Sorry to hear your great misfortune, I hope you get well soon. I guess sometimes it can be blessing to live in Melbourne as I'm told there aren't any redbacks here. Well I hope that is true, because I couldn't bear my kids getting bitten.

Austrelaps - Thanks for the tip. Just in case I'm wrong about them not being in Melbourne.

Pythonkisses: I hope you are feeling 100% again soon. A nasty incident & as you said it was lucky your kids were not around.

It's weird hearing about people always checking clothes/bed etc for spiders. I grew up in the Sydney National Park & we had Red Backs & Funnel Webs (as well as red-belly black snakes) everywhere all the time & yet we (my siblings & the other kids around) ran around all day every day in the bush & at home with no shoes, climing through storm-water drains & generally risked ourselves with no misforunate events (well not of the spider/snake biting type). I look back now & shudder to think of my son doing those things though.

One night after playing "commandos" in the bush (which basically involved painting ones self in mud & crawling through the underbush & playing hide & seek) after a shower & getting ready for bed I threw my dirty clothes off my bed & onto the floor. When pulled back the quilt I noticed movement on the sheet & when I switched the overhead light on I discovered a Red-Back spider which (we assume) came in with/on my clothes. I wasn't concerned then (ah the foolhardyness of youth) but to look back on it... :shock:

Having said that I still don't bother checking anything other than shoes left outside overnight for spiders...maybe once Imove into an actual house (as opposed to an apartment) I will be more vigilant.

Well that's my story. :?

Livewire said:
Pythonkisses - Sorry to hear your great misfortune, I hope you get well soon. I guess sometimes it can be blessing to live in Melbourne as I'm told there aren't any redbacks here. Well I hope that is true, because I couldn't bear my kids getting bitten.

Austrelaps - Thanks for the tip. Just in case I'm wrong about them not being in Melbourne.

Sorry Livewire redback spiders are found in melbourne as well. Here in Seaford on the mornington peninsula we find at least 6 in our garage each year. To the best of my knowlege the redback is found all over australia, in fact we event export them around the world in shipping containers.

regards David

Rennie said:
Thanks for the warning. A guy at my work got bitten by a white tail about a month and a half ago out near campbeltown, he was in hospital for 2 weeks. At my place near Bankstown I see redbacks fairly often and we have also seen a few white tails around lately, we are always fairly careful about checking but I think I'll be extra careful for the next little while.
I hope you feel better soon!

I live near Bankstown too (Padstow to be precise), and while there are a few red backs around, I don't see them often. Must be all the hunstmans we have running around which take care of the bad bugs.

Moreliaman said:

Oh now i know why i woke up on the celing this morning and that sticky stuff coming from my wrists thanks Moreliaman.

Now days after bite still have the pain which they said i would have for a while its the light head and the sweats that i hate all the drugs and stuff coming out and the sleepless nights because of the pain in chest cant wait till am back to normal what ever that is hehehehehe well am off for yet another blood test.......

Thank you to all who emailed me with your GEt Well Soon they were cute :) thank you

PK

mm we got several red backs around the place. 1 or 2 under the rocks around the pond and one in the compost bin. i just leave them be, they are beautiful spiders.

hope you feel better, i got bitten by some sortof spider on my arm at least thats what we think happend. i got a scare about 1cm in diameter. kinda looked like a burn in the begining but the only thing warm i had with me was a hot water bottle and thats not that hot.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back