albino olive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch2

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey i seen an albino olive for sale just recently for 15000.00 has anyone else seen an abino olive before? wot would population be? and if you breed with normal olive would it produce a mix of each

Crutchie, you need to get hold of some of the old Reptiles Australia magazines. there is a great article on them in one of those. there are lots of other threads talking about what happens when you cross ablino with albino, albino with normal and albino with het albino. And a lot of them are recent. Look up mendelian genetics.

Question though for the knowledgeable. Is albinoism recessive like blue eyes and is that why two albinos will always give albino babies?

also if there were onley a few of these wouldnt it be better to hol onto and breed for a couple of seasons then sell before prices drop ????

thanks pete i thought posible to breed and breed to get onley albinos

Yep crutchie, you're right. But ya never know whats gunna happen. What if some other rooster gets them and then drops the price on you befoer ryou sell. I've seen people tear up millions selling properties because they couldn't wait 5 years for a rezoning. And your other little green ones are the same. $7k as a hatchie, $12k as a yearling and $16k as a sexed adult male. Why sell as a hatchie?

ok im a gambler i cant see the price droping that much to cause panic and sell sell sell is there many of these around or can count on one hand

I don't know, but i would guess there is at least 5-10, plus many more hets. I really am only guessing though.

From readign the article Breds I think you would be close. I also dont know of anyone else that has offered them for sale but the first saleable clutch would only still be young and probably only produce hets in their first breeding unless some one spent $30k and bought 2. so we may still be 3 years off before a glut after the hets breed with their parent.

I think they have been bred for a couple of years so I would guess the numbers are up around the 20-30, maybe more. Quite a few people seem to have them. I might be totally off with the numbers but it would be in the 10's not single figures.

they are very unique but if i brought one i would rather it lay golden eggs for that price :lol:

The hets were produced 2-4 years in a row and that was a few years ago.
I dunno how many there is, but there is the potenital to be a fair few.

Olives tend to take a couple more years to get to sexual maturity than carpet pythons (so I'm guessing you would be waiting approx 5 years before they would be ready to breed)Due to this, I think they will hold their price for a few more years yet.

you may wish to have a look at this page detailing the early history of the Albino Olives:

http://www.herptrader.com.au/AlbinoOlive

I think they are one of the best looking of the Albino pythons as they almost pure white!

ao_Kylie_and_Spliff.jpg

OH MY GOSH, WHAT A SNAKE!!!!!! I"M SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!! olives are so beautiful already, but that is just stunning

Slateman said:
My GOT Judy you are looking so young on that picture.

Hey slatey old man that picture is not "Trader" (aka Judy and my dahrling wife!!) - Judy is far more beautiful!! (She is also a tad older ;-) )

ps: That is also not our Olive but the original that was in the hands of Gavin Bedford before it passed away.

There were rumours flying around everywhere a couple of years ago that many of the hets were culled because there were too many to look after in the collection they were in and they weren't selling for as much as was being asked. (No, I can't confirm it, they're just rumours that everyone listening at the time heard as far as I know). If people have been breeding them to their full potential, which you'd presume to be the case, there would be a heap of them out there by now, but like chondroes etc, being kept quietly.

Does anyone remember how many were being offered in the original auction? It was either 2002 or 2003 that they were up for sale.

"Albino Olive Python Genetic Material, all that is known to exist. For sale as a group comprising 35 Olive Pythons of various ages, 29 heterozygous for the gene, 1 albino hatched this year, and 4 others hatched this year that may carry the gene. See the picture link for further details. $150000"

So lets see if we can work this out. The 29 would likely be offspring of an albino mated to a normal giving 100% hets. There should be 3 years worth at least for them to be old enough to breed now. The five from this year must be the first clutch of Het to Het giving 25% albino, 50% het and 25% normal. The numbers stack up. I assume the albino grandparent either is dead or not part of the package. Is this from Gavin?

The original (Spliff) is dead, died from pest strip poisoning.
Those numbers were from about 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back