Sick of being called a snake loving freak?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if other herpers get the same thing it do?
I'm sick of being called names for liking reptiles. Snake girl is one of the most common. People often ask if they can visit to see the snakes, I say 'yes' so that they can see that reptiles are not so bad and maybe learn a little about them. Once the visitors get home all they want to do is call me a freak and pay-out on snakes.

I'm so tired of all this negativity, I now actually hide that I own and love reptiles.

Bet I'm not the only person that has this problem.

Oliver

Don't hide the fact you like snakes! Wear the name "snake loving freak" with pride as the rest of us do!

A few years ago I stopped caring what other people thought about me. If they didn't like me for who I was then thats fine, their choice. I usualy welcome back people to my house also to show them my pythons. As a general rule they are interested and respectful (some are scared half to death still :) ).

How old are these people that are behaving like this? Sounds like teenager behaviour at my guess.

Yeah, people don't have to like what you like, but it's just pathetic when they hassle you because of it. Don't worry Oliver (Olivier?), if people don't like you because of who you are, they're not worth spending time with. You'll find people are much more accepting as you get older. Don't let it bug you, and let everyone know of your hobby. hiding it just prevents you from meeting someone with the same enthusiasm for your hobby.

Thanks guys,

I'm in my early twenties and often people that visit are of the same age, but some of the oldies are the worst offenders. Often visitors are friends/family of friends or work mates. My good friends are Ok with it (but still don't aways share my love).
I live in a semi rural area and pet reptiles are uncommon.
I don't suffer from people not liking me, I think they believe it ok to give me a hard time about this one aspect of my life, because its unusual.
So I'll try to keep up and better the good reputation of reptiles and keep on keeping on.

Hey Oliver,
If they are not picking on you about reptiles....they will find something else!
Just human nature I suppose. It's their loss I reckon!!

I must be one of the lucky ones, because I have never been called anything.

I used to take my snake (and beardy and rat) to the library when I was younger to educate all the little kids, and everyone loved it and all the adults, although shy at first, ended up holding them as well, and thanked me afterwards.

The most common reaction I get when I tell people I have snakes is they are usually a bit taken a-back, then I explain how awesome they are as pets, low maintence and everything, and they think it's cool. Then, most people know I have always had heaps of animals and love them to death on a freaky level haha, I would rather spend time with my animals than people most of the time.

But I dont think you should hide who you are because people call you names. You are doing what you love, and to hell with them! They obviously haven't got happy lives if they have to pick on other people all the time :)

I never get sick of being called a freak, it shows people are paying attention.
:roll: :wink: :?: :oops:

I love being a freak! When people call me that I take it as a compliment, at least we're not boring!!! FREAKS RULE!

redline said:
All u guys r freaks.

hehehe :lol: Even my wife thinks I'm a freak! But then I reminded her that she married me ;) All of her friends think I'm one too, but then I tell them that at least my own pet doesn't lick up and eat its own vomit, then proceed to slobber its chops all over your face :)

i don't really get that. my neighbours who have seen my snake, from a distance(i sun him out in the backyard) seem to be interested and also grossed out/fearful.

one thing i like to say to people is i would rather get bitten by my pythan than one of my pet birds anyday, the snake inflicts less pain!

i am a proud snake/fish/animal freak!

andrew

A lot of people are brought up with the 'snakes are bad' thought pattern. I suppose the best response to that kind of put down behaviour is to tell them firmly and politely that you had invited them over to show them something that you have a storng interest in. Not to be put down upon and teased. I'm 23 and haven't noticed that sort of being called a freak and soforth. Though I was called a freak long before I kept snakes ;)

People who know me also know that I spend a lot of time and effort on my interest. They have interests also. One is a musician and it has ruled his life. Another bought his house because it has a room that looks directly into the flight path. Another drinks 4 bottles of wine every day. Then there is the one who likes to tie people up and hurt them and a whole heap of others that have strange obsessions, eastern philosophy, road cycling, velodrome cycling, skating, bird breeding, cat and dog breeding(freak or what).
So you dont subscribe to the petty anti snake bias.
Im no freak, Im a pillar.

munkee said:
I suppose the best response to that kind of put down behaviour is to tell them firmly and politely that you had invited them over to show them something that you have a storng interest in.

...and don't forget following that through with a good firm punch to the mouth of the offender ;) hehehe

I get called snake geek by some of my mates, but I give them as much crap as they give me. Good friends can take the piss out of each other and not worry.

...and don't forget following that through with a good firm punch to the mouth of the offender hehehe

But in the politest way possible......................

Scott and I have 3 pythons, and 4 beardies, people were fine with him liking reptiles, but me- a girl - I was weird?!?!?

I was the 'snake freak' at work too - and held back telling new work mates until I could guess their reaction (at least if they would squirm or not)

BUT THEN my boss wanted to have snail relays and cockroaches races for Australia Day - and guess who came to the rescue???

ME - - THE SNAKE GIRL FREAK

With the help of Matt at Animal Attraction - I had the whole Tavern in fits of laughter - and even took my biggest Beardie in to eat the loosing roaches...

So I'm still a freak ~ ~ ~ ~ But I'm a freak that has CRED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back