CROCS NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i support the pygmy croc idea, but the problem i see is that there is going to be an abundance of sub-adult and adult crocs going around that no-one would want. Shippping them is expensive and i can see alot being euthanased or worse still realeased

Having a little experience, a hatchy freshy will give you a better laceration if not handled properly as a baby and can be flighty and can stress easy, where as a saltie hatchy is a saltie, hardy though when get larger can become a problem. So you'd need the right setup and some experience but anyone who's had them, they are easy to keep, the issue comes about if they out grow they're cage size. Croc's make excellent pets and I'm glad I've got to experience them here in the NT.

wen im older i think i want to move out to humpty doo in the NT here (humpty doo is about 40k out of darwin well the part were i wanna live is)
ive been to Gavin Bedford's house his a great bloke and that were i purchased my mertens water monitor from him
as for the pygmy/dwarf freshies i havnt spoken to him recently so ... but i might have to give him a email,

up here in the NT most pet shops that sell reptiles sell crocs, in surburbia (i think) u can keep salties till they r 40cm long or 2yo wateva cums first and u return them to crocdylus park who they were breed by, and freshies i think u can keep them all thier life, and i havnt seen "pygmy/dwarf freshies" 4 sale o yeah the crocs are sold as hatchies for roun 200 buks each
maybe another darwinite can inlighten us more cos im unsure of this but im pretty sure...yommy?

and yes im only 14 dun have to listen to me lol

Having said all that, there is a dwarf version of Freshie available to herpers in some states(adult length about 1 metre) that could be suitable.

You know of anyone with these Pygmies Varanus? Would love to get some of them if they are being bred in captivity.

re CROCS

We are talking crocs afro :evil: Pygmys no proplem and youy dont need no license,i got mine after John Howard brought him to australia as a hairdresser so he is legal :D

Not off hand,

I remember Malcolm(of Malcolm Douglas fame) mentioned Gavin Bedford and a breeding program and I believe some states(those that allow Freshies in captivity) would allow people to keep these. I recall some on the "Herp Trader" site under "other" and"WA Type locality(1100cm)"-$650 ea from memory!

As Megalania mentioned earlier, they are found on top of the escarpment( not much in the way of food around-especially in the Dry season) so they could simply be a small version of the common or garden variety Freshie!! Interesting to see what would happen over a few gens with an optimal food supply!!

Good luck with the Perenties BTW.

Cheers,

Varanus.

Thanks for that Varanus, I would be looking for something younger/ smaller than a metre though. Will have to give it some serious thought as to the commitment and also start working on the missus :)

Also thanks for the best wishes with the Perenties :) :)

re CROCS

Problem is NPWS are not sympathetic to individual circumstances,most regulations are the blanket variety,there would be individuals willing to go the full distance with enclosures and setups.Most australians i believe would be more frightened of living next to someone with taipans and deathadders,dont think they are real worryed about crocs and the freshwater crocs shouldnt be a problem.If an owner gets bitten thats tough luck,he could get bitten by his death adders and taipans,personal safety is up to individuals not authoritys.The few individuals that want to keep crocs should be allowed to do so on the merrit of idividual applications meeting very strict husbandry guidlines. :)

Spike14 said:
but if you live in rural ares you can keep them until they die.

Sounds good in theory but don't they live for like 150 years and keep getting bigger?

SLACkra said:
I am yet to be convinced that they are a seperate species..........I think its just a quirk of the physical environment they are in. It would be interesting to see how some juvies fair if they had access to optimal diet......they may turn out to be "normal"

well acording to the guy who talked at one of the VHS meetings their is a difference. if i remember correctly he said he had 1 baby dwarf freshie and 1-2 normal baby freshies. they all ate the same amount but the dwarf one grew alot slower than the normal ones.

andrew

That may be the case, but take into account cb animals tend to grow faster/bigger than their wild counterparts on account of having it so easy. Imagine how much a small croc would be overfed bysome just due to the novelty of watching it eat.
Be nice if they are a new, or sub species, but I think megalania's idea has merrit and much is the influence of their particular enviroment, availability of prey etc etc.

I still want a pair though! :)

i would love to get a pygmy freshie, but for now i will keep aiming for a bells phase lacie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back