feeding probs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Splitmore....you mustn't have come across a snake with no tongue or heard of hatchlings that have been chewed by live prey especially if the baby is already too weak to hold its head up

Splitmore....you mustn't have come across a snake with no tongue
to be honest i don't think I have and certainly not one that has had it chewed off by a pinky

I have a juvenile coastal here with no tongue that i now have feeding for itself on thawed and live food. I didn't notice it had no tongue when i bought it and it was one of those this is a friend's im selling it for them so i couldn't get it replaced...long story!
anyway...
i can only assume that is lost its tongue in that way, or it was defective etc. The more i talk to guys the more i hear about live prey sometimes getting the upper hand on snakes that aren't eating for some reason.

I sympathasize therefore when i hear of people's snakes not eating. It really sux when despite your every effort you have a snake that is wasting away. I know people hate force feeding, but if i didn't do it with my tongueless wonder it would have been dead I reckon

just my 10c worth

skink tail

OK, have skink tail! dang fast things aren't they.
Zahir was purchased from a pet shop. he is three months old and still the size of a hatchling. they said he was older, they said he was feeding, they also tried selling me a 4ft cage for him...i think that says it all.......no, the pet shop wasn't in Emerald.
a local chap keeps his snakes at temps around 38 which i thought was too hot. ive been keeping him at around 32 day and 25-28 night. he hates the red light. hard to get temp variations in a small container as the whole thing heats up. he must have RI due to temps?
I'm off the feed him the tail......................

You can always try scenting with bat feathers and offering after midnight on a full moon, with the snake facing west.

:) dont panic, itll eat when its ready to.

if it's at the stage where it's either it eats or dies just feed it a few skinks, you'll just need to get a fecal sample looked at down the track incase it does pick up worms.

assist feed

instar said:
You can always try scenting with bat feathers and offering after midnight on a full moon, with the snake facing west.

:) dont panic, itll eat when its ready to.

tried that too :D

thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I suppose that those of you that have been on here a while have heard/seen/done most of it before as its a pretty big learning curve, but without you lot us new folk would be lost....

managed to get a skink tail into him last night. they're pretty quick little sods to try and catch eh...he's still alive this morning and he's stopped doing his head waving/falling over backwards business so that's a start. I've cranked the temp up, ditched the red light and swapped for a ceramic.

Frank!!! how you going with your Bredli girl? it's been 13 days now, is she eating??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back