One for the Ray Hoser fans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reptilia said:
I'll go their on the 20th and ask 'Excuse me. Ray, Why are you the leading herpetoligist in australia?'

See what his answer is. :p

dont you see? he has a red belly on his neck! on his neck! You aint no herpetologist until you have one of those near your face!

If I could see him I's ask him to kiss a elapid until he got tagged, just for the laffo

P.S. I posted heading as a neutral disclaimer. If you like him heres your chance to met him. If you dont heres a chance for hilaridad

I disagree with venomoids, is that acceptable olivehydra or would you like to delete my post?

I disagree with you disagreeing with venomoids parko, because I disagreed with them first. I find you disagreeing with them after I disagreed with them very disagreeable!
:)

I agree with your disagreement Inny, but feel you are being argumentive. I ask olivehydra to delete your posts because they serve no purpose other than to cause argument.

hehehe <--- dirrected to Parko + Instars last posts

I suspect that if the poll was "Who is your favourite APS moderator" Olivehydra would get Parko's vote..............................

On a serious note fruity fruit loops of fruit......

I had thought of editing Parko's post and replacing it with this

I would like to apologise to all the members here and especilly to the moderators for coming on here drunk and being offensive.
Yours sincerely
Parko

Instead, they were just moved to the "Big Book of Parko's Indiscretions"

Unless I missed something he was sober and being humorous Pete. a little friction never hurt this website and its certainly not new. 99% of members here love it, including yourself. It makes makes threads happen and keeps it alive.
your getting old and whiney like grandpa simpson Pete, dont lose your sense of humour ok. :)

Quote: ? 'Other innovations by Raymond Hoser include shows with snakes eating, mating, feeding lizards and so on.'

Instar. I wasnt refering to the whole quote. Just the mating part. (I should of highlighted it). I didnt think this would be possible. Feeding both lizards and snakes, yes no problem with that and yes it could be very educational for the public. But.. how do you get a snake to mate at a show?.

I have certainly never seen that happen and would like to know how they do it.
It is definately my fault that I posted the entire quote and hence mislead people that have read it.

some folk get so worked up into a mob mentality ranting about how bout something is, they just cease to think or question. half these hoser bashers are also "the self gratifying type" (mod ed) imo!

But if this is referring to me, I really dont appreciate it.
And if you are calling these so called 'hoser bashers' "self gratifying" (mod ed). Are you also referring to other people in this thread?

You call ray hoser a ******. So what does that make you? A 'hoser basher'.....

Cant all of us hoser bashes get along? :p

Never meet the bloke personally, but he's got some useful information on his website. Don't know if that constitutes being a fan or not, but he probably dribbles about the same amount of BS as most of the people on this site - as evidenced by fuscus poll . IMO

Sten

some folk get so worked up into a mob mentality ranting about how bout something is, they just cease to think or question. half these hoser bashers are also "the self gratifying type" (mod ed) imo!

But if this is referring to me, I really dont appreciate it.
And if you are calling these so called 'hoser bashers' "self gratifying" (mod ed). Are you also referring to other people in this thread?

You call ray hoser a ******. So what does that make you? A 'hoser basher'.....

Cant all of us hoser bashes get along? :p

No I said
From all accounts the bloke is a ******,
I did not say I nessesarily shared the opinion, although I strongly disagree with venemoids.

Im referring to anyone who "jumps on the wagon" like a mindless goon, because an opinion is popular., without anything experience/knowledge by which to make measure of its worth. If that includes some here, Tough luck honey. :)

re: mating at shows, its not likely you can "make" snakes mate, common sense should tell you that. if snakes are mating and they used at a show while doing the biz, I have no problem with that either if they are not disturbed. As i said "educational" :)

for those without an opinion of the aforementioned gentleman try
a/ These pages on his web site ( http://www.smuggled.com/ )
http://www.smuggled.com/VenArt1p.htm
http://www.smuggled.com/VenSur6.htm
Note the animal is cooled notanesthetized
but you gotta love the 4 by 2 raw pine operating table. Must be real easy to sterilize
b/ His contributions to other sites - do a google on ray hoser
or look here http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/FWit/Lies.html
Note that this site is run by one of his kingsnake "sparring partners"

I'd just like to point out two things:

1. The advertisement says "Meet leading Australian Herpetologist Ray Hoser". It doesn't say he's the leading Australian herpetologist, but suggests he is a leading Australian Herpetologist, or one of the leading Australian herpetologists.

2. From that photo, it appears he didn't get enough calcium and UVB when he was younger, he has a kink in his back.

:p

Hix

re One

Pretty boring really,when i did shows the tiger snakes i used were as agro as hell and the people was happy in the prospect i might get bitten and even die :p like a lion show at a circus you kind of wish the lion has a free meal :D Whats tis lack of respect here its not Ray anymore its Dr Hoser. :D

Hix said:
1. The advertisement says "Meet leading Australian Herpetologist Ray Hoser". It doesn't say he's the leading Australian herpetologist, but suggests he is a leading Australian Herpetologist, or one of the leading Australian herpetologists.

Hix
I was about to say the same thing, you beat me to it. I can honestly say that I am a leading herpetologist too, one of the top million or so! :lol:

P.S. I am not a fan defending him, just making a statement. Don't attack me.

re One

peterjohnson64 said:
Dr of what?
Lighten up pete,if you laugh your face will crack,get into a bottle of red :lol:

I read that stuff trying to keep an open mind about him (I posted this thread knowing he was controversial, though I had no opinion of him myself, or knowledge why he was surrounded by controversy) and I could see a number of things that question his respect in the herp community.

Because I like typing so much I shall regale you with a few of them:

Ray Hoser has obvious difficulty distinguishing between first person and third person, when talking about himself. I even read a sentence or two where he switched between the different perspectives within them! This I guess is more of a personality flaw, but I argue that this is evidence of lack of qualified education in the field he claims to be an expert in, especially when he published those pages as a scientific report.

Mr. Hoser performed surgical operations on animals without anesthetic or a veterinary licence. I think that moves into a more ethical/legal debate. I know very little of snake veterinary science, but I understand that a vet with experience with reptiles would know the correct thing to do and I dont think that the practices Ray employs in his procedures would be used.

Leading me to my next finding: Ray virtually disregards any formal text or scientifically accepted knowledge when he finds it inconvenient to what he does.

He knows that what he did/is doing is wrong. This was demonstrated when he told of receiving requests to perform the operation, but declining them due to legal reasons.

Theres some more idiot stuff there that I could include but they dont really apply to his image as a "scientific expert" rather than a rogue amateur who doesnt know australian english and grammar except to include one more: That the article he published on devenomising elapids reads more like a diary entry or blog instead of a scientific paper as he describes the procedure and deals with critics on a personal level in the same piece.

Other than that (besides the details of his scallywag behaviour), everything else that I picked up can be put down to Mr. Hoser not displaying the correct uses of scientific language.

I was serious. I like to know what people do their PHd's in...... :)

Oh, and I actually supported Ray when he was attacked in another forum that I no longer go to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back