Dead Sugar Glider at Home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have lived in my house for 13 years and never seen a native mammal in our area. My neighbours, who have a lot of gum trees have been here for 18 years and also have never even seen a possum. So you could imagine my surprise wehn my daughter cam in this morning to tell me that there was a dead animal in the back yard, the size of a rat but furrier. It was a poor female sugar glider (nothing in her pouch thanfully). When I got to her there were millions of ants so I had to wash her off. I am guess she was dropped by some sort of predatpor but she has no physical signs of puncture wounds. Sorry that the pic is a bit gorry.

No mate, not flat. No real evidence of physical damage at all. Was thinking of freezing her for lacie food next year.

Not a good idea, if it has died from poisoning you might make your lacey sick too, better safe that sorry.

exactly, i wouldn't feed anything i am not 100% sure about cause of death.

maybe it was old age?

That looks well an truely "well done" looks pretty stiff and crispy

No yayo, still very floppy. clearly last nights death. It looks bad because I had to wash 5,000 ants of it and the flaps are extended as well.

"its not dead, it's ....resting!" Monty python :lol:

poor thing. i have seen a sugar glider around my place, we live on the rural/uban frindge. honsestly unless you were actively looking for them i doupt you would know they were there.

andrew

re Dead

Fairly common still pete,the last time i seen some was at my brothers house at wollongong he had a burmese cat that would catch and kill them and ringtails and then leave them laying around the place.Onley ever saw one live one move like lightning up a gum tree at his house ime surprised his cat could catch them,he got rid of the cat after it brought one into the lounge room dead. :)

zulu the best cat i ever seen was 1/4 of an inch thick and 3ft long roadkill ( i hate cats ) rodney or kev

re Dead

Must admitt i dont mind cats especially tigers and lions too,in australia its just the idiots that brought them here in the first place,they just shouldnt be here and people that dont look after them properly its not the animals fault.I used to look after some baby foxs at a wildlife park that were handed in,very beautiful animals but they are living in the wrong country eating all our wildlife :)

Very sad to hear, but native wildlife is around everywhere if you look for them. Me and a guy from work saw 2 ringtails at luna park one night on night shift, the smaller one was so tame we could pat it and take photo's (camera phone, no flash so bad quality) and me and my girlfriend saw one in Hyde Park of all places when we were out one night.

Rennie said:
Me and a guy from work saw 2 ringtails at luna park one night ... and me and my girlfriend saw one in Hyde Park of all places when we were out one night.

Yeah, I've seen a few in Hyde Park, but the Brushies are far more common there. I've seen gliders in the wild too, and they're a lot harder to find than possums!

:p

Hix

Yeah, I've never seen a glider in the city only in the bush, but the others are around here and there, and I'll bet the gliders are too, just harder to spot. Hopefully Pete's one died of natural causes and got a few babies out first. :)

I've been to Pete's place, I don't recall any gum trees nearby. I suspect this is a cat kill that was being transported back home through Pete's backyard, when his dogs scared the cat andf it dropped the glider. Just a theory.

:p

Hix

or petre is a warewolf and was carrying it home for breaky and was interupted buy his dos . . another theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back