Green Rat water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever. Once a week, I get out the old bottle brush and give the bottles a good scrub. There's usually none of the green algae in them, but they tend to feel a tad slimy. We only have two tubs active now, just enough to breed food for our MD's. Sometimes 3 tubs when I separate the male from the females. But anyhow no green algae in the bottles at all. Cheers Cheryl

Well I have managed to find a product called Aviclear which amazingly is used in aviaries. Obviously it is non toxic and will finally stop the algae curse. Our bottles are cleaned and the water is changed regularly but the problem is the front of the shed is open all day and it is obviously condusive to algae growth. Anyway thanks for everyones input.

I had rats (they have all now been eaten) We had to change the water for them every day, why dont you just do that its not hard just ...
1. tip old water out
2. poor new water in

every day

That sounds good BigToe! But spraypainting the bottles does work, no BLOODY Worries! Ooops am I allowed to say that "B" word? Sounds like the Pomms are getting too fussy with their POLITICALLY CORRECT words?? LOL! and ROFL!!! What a joke! Fancy barring that "B" word! They say it all the time on TV, eh?

Its not as easy as changing the water, its not the water thats the problem. The algae will still be there unless the bottles are scrubbed at each refill. (Or unless you find an alternative like spray painting the bottles)

We have had guinea pigs and rabbits for years, and have experienced the same thing. Although we have found algae buildup seems to occur in some brand bottles more than other brands.

I was once told a tiny drop of bleach can help. Never tried it though.

Would this problem be specific to certain areas? We breed mice and rats but don't have this problem, having said that though, we have the medium sized hamster type water bottles, they are checked every morning and night to see if they need to be refilled. I know you said you don't have enough time to clean them more, but would it be worth getting a smaller bottle?

You are right it isn't as easy as just changing the water, believe me I would do it more often if that was all it took. The algae grows on the inside of the bottle and stays there regardless of how many times you change the water and cleaning all the bottles every couple of days is not a option. I think this Aviclear will do the trick.

Put a bit of chlorine in the water, or some acid will help too.

Its not as easy as changing the water, its not the water thats the problem.
acturly it is the water algae needs a few things to to help it grow depending on the type your common type that turns the water green feeds more of the nitrate in the water but also needs sunlight to grow. that slime you get in the bottle is nother form which feeds of nutriants in the water and needs no light what so ever to grow and depending on what strand is in your water to start of with it can be harmful if taken into the body in large amounts then there is your blanket algae which feeds off the nitrate in the water.
solution to all these problems stop being lazy and change the water more often all the chemicle is going to do is clear what you can see and not what you can't see.

by the way if anybody wants to argue with this you can complain to nylex australia, neta watering systems, waterwerks pond supplys and akline pond products i have done cources with all these companys for work and all say the same thing

Mmm, I really don't think it is a matter of being lazy. When you have 40 odd water bottles it isn't always easy to empty clean and refill every day. The stuff I am getting will sort it out anyway.

Well maybe they can come do tests on my animals water. I have kept rodents, guinea pigs and other animals that use the bottles- and I have always had the same problem. All our water is done regularly, and the bottles are washed to keep the algae away.

I believe the sunlight that our animals water has shine on it encourages algael growth no matter the water (I've used tap water, distilled water, spring water all in our watering system for the animals, and STILL the algae forms.)

We change water everyday, and still the algae forms. And what 'westhamsc' said is true of the algae,but essentially, if all you are doing is replacing one lot of tap water with another lot of tap water in the bottle WITHOUT washing it (getting rid of any 'algael' residue) then you will continue to have the problem no matter how many times a day you change the water.

And chemicals are not necessarily a bad thing. If the 'chemical' will not harm the animals ingesting the water, and it helps to remove the algael spores from the water they are drinking, then that can only be a plus for the animals IMHO.

pike1 said:
Put a bit of chlorine in the water, or some acid will help too.

I had a friend who used to do that, he also put in all sorts of other drugs as well. Then after a period of time he'd scoop their brains out and test them. hes a full professor now with a chair and everything.

this is going to sound hrsh but isn't ment to if you can't clean 40 bottles why have so many rats to clean? also walking around and puting a couple of drops into each bottle just so you can't see the problem is being lazy as nearly all products take the colour pigment out of the algae but it still remains if you are deadset in puting a couple of drops into a bottle use a product from interpet called barley straw exstact this is one of the cheapest stuff that works going around that is natural and won't harm living creatures

Exactly right, the chemical I am getting inhibites the growth of the algae and doesn't harm animals. I have been given the name of something else to use by someone in a PM as well. As you say the stuff just keeps forming and if I had the time to clean 40 water bottles every day I would.

AntaresiaLady said:
And chemicals are not necessarily a bad thing. If the 'chemical' will not harm the animals ingesting the water, and it helps to remove the algael spores from the water they are drinking, then that can only be a plus for the animals IMHO.

Pete, thats what i do.......you think Im joking dont you.......or did someone tell you

I used to have this problem, but now any bottles that are exposed to sunlight are covered and the problem disapeared over night. I use plastic ice cream tubs or simular to cover the bottles. Works a treat.

Nothing will stop it, just cover the bottles as the people have stated it works. You don't have to cover your units, just the bottles with anything that will minimise the light getting to the bottle. Don't hide the problem...you will find cleaning the bottles as you do will still be sufficient if you take advice from those who have given it you with the experiences that they have had. Not to many have used chemicals that I read, I cover mine and the are in an open shed aswell, the algae is still present.. not a huge amount but ennough to leave residue on the bottle.... I only have to clean 3 times a week but that's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back