Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the posts on APS are from school kids. Sometimes I shake my head and wonder how they ever pass their English tests.

I understood the first few posts in this thread, but then I started to get lost. Maybe I better go back to school and re-learn English. It's been a long time since I was taught and it seems that the rules have changed ! No wonder nobody understands me, (it's not the alcohol).

reptililian said:
... I've read the same thing, about the first and last letter being the crucial ones...

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Well, I must be an old fuddy duddy, as it drives me nuts when people write posts like the one above by Fuscus!
Like what has been said, this site is not a mobile phone!!!
:roll:

reptililian said:
Mel, if they are deliberately writing in "mobile-phone speak", and deliberately ignoring common punctuation, such as full stops and commas which help us to understand a piece of writing, then I deliberately avoid reading whatever it is they have written.

This is a forum, not a text message and people should make an attempt to be as coherent and understandable as possible.

I'm with you Lily. I generally just skip over the posts with too much word substitution. It's each person's choice to type out a post how they want to, as long as they understand that if they use the SMS language then less people are going to take the time to read their post or take it as seriously. Contrary to popular belief, typing in l33t or sms speak is not the way to look cool, it just makes one look somewhat lazy. :p

Having said that I went through a phase of using single letter substitutions (U, R etc.) when I first started going online (at age 12!) so I guess it's pretty common & hopefully most people get over it soon enough.

you dont need to know how to spell try and read this

You have a very good excuse, English is your second language, it's when English is alledgedly the first language we have a problem :lol:

Slateman said:
I better shut up here :oops:

Communication is a tricky one.
Because your using works to communicate and idea or a picture, there is always some clarity lost between what you think and what you say and what the other person interprets.
When your using written language to share your view with others, I think that the focus should be on the person your communication to - so that they can understand what your saying or describing. I agree with earlier sentiments that using language others can’t understand is selfish and unhelpful for all parties involved.

I believe that SMS and those shortcuts are quite acceptable, because it’s a different kind of communication. It is less about descriptions and ideas, and you are often talking to others that you know quite well.

I think you need to differentiate the two and use the appropriate language for the appropriate forum.
But keep on posting and sharing yourself with the herp world, (so long as we understand what your saying).

I find deliberate shortening of any word ending in the the letter "g" , "runnin" ,"shoppin" etc very "annoyin" !

DUd3 pH34R l33t sp34k! I owNZOR joo!!!!!1!!!one!! :lol: :lol:

Yes agreed but taking it one step further I also hate the habit of abbreviating almost any word by putting 'ie' or "o" on the end eg ambo, firies, towies, hatchies etc and have even seen snakes like cornsnakes referred to as cornies. I guess like a few people have said I am old school and just like English to be English :lol:

instar said:
I find deliberate shortening of any word ending in the the letter "g" , "runnin" ,"shoppin" etc very "annoyin" !

I agree with the older generation. My niece does it all the time and it URINATES me right off. It comes down to laziness. If people want to do it that's fine, but do it on your mobile's and not in a forum. A lot of people do not understand have the abreviations so have the courtesy to type, what would it be, an extra letter here and an extra letter there.

Thanks to you all for tolerance.

By the way, I can't understand this shorten internet English at all. so when the post apeer, I skip the post. Werry hard for me to read.

Fuscus said:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

U found it for me :D

And i look at it this way, if u get annoyed by ppl (like me) shortening words in forums, than dont read the posts by ppl (like me) simple as that. :D
(note the smile, im not being bitchy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back