Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened there then ? looks like ive been re-directed to the "Victor Meldrew Appreciation society" site !
:wink:

It annoys the hell out of me as well. I dont have time for it and i dont think it's cool at all. I especially can't stand "Dis" instead of "This".

When i read a post where the spelling is perfect i immediately assume that the person who wrote it is intelligent and takes pride in their spelling, and i respect that.

When i read a post where the spelling is all shortened i immediately assume that the person who wrote it is very lazy and has no pride, and i disrespect that.

I like the English language and i have always enjoyed writing words properly. I even quickly check over my spelling before i hit SUBMIT because i don't wan't to be mistaken for one of those lazy people.

Moreliaman said:
What happened there then ? looks like ive been re-directed to the "Victor Meldrew Appreciation society" site !
:wink:

Victor Meldrew?? No idea who that is. Is he a UK celebrity?

That's right, very well known over here but on the very unfashionable ABC so most probably wouldn't know of him :lol:

serpenttongue said:
He's from the UK comedy "One Foot in the Grave". Victor is played by Richard Wilson, i believe.

he's an OAP.....that complains about everything !

sorry i just think youre all being a bit petty ! Im sure there must be more interesting things to talk about.
If i can't decipher the words that someones typed/written in a post........i don't read em !......<- oww look i shortened a word ! Wheres the grammer police ?
costumed-smiley-089.gif

instar said:
for your endless amusement

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html

first post translated

JUST WOND3RNG IT SEMS 2 B TEH IN THNG 2 DO LAETLY 2 PURPOS3LY SP3L WORDS WRONG OR SHORT3N WORDS1!!11 WTF CAN ANYONE EXPLANE THIS 2 ME WUT IS SO DIFICULT IN TYPNG COMPLETA WORDS AND SANTANC3S??!???!??!??!? LOL M I BNG AN OLD PRUDE??!!?!!!??!?! OMG WTF LOL

Very amusing link Inny :D That translator does a very good job of typifying a 12 year old's internet manner

I am with you in 100%. They teach english and spelling in schools for a reason. Though after discussing this with my teenage sister she politley informed me that if it wasnt for the phone companies this wouldnt be such a problem. Apparently the phone companies only let a certain amount of letters per SMS and they charge for each one. I promptly told her that is utter crap her generation is just straight out lazy.

Moreliaman said:
sorry i just think youre all being a bit petty ! Im sure there must be more interesting things to talk about.
If i can't decipher the words that someones typed/written in a post........i don't read em !......<- oww look i shortened a word ! Wheres the grammer police ?

That's for being being petty too :)

Okay, here he is:

costumed-smiley-089.gif

Actually, your grammar was quite sound, it was your punctuation and spelling which were not. You can shorten many words quite acceptably, but if you want to shorten "them", you need an apostrophe. "Kill 'em all!" ;)

i should be capitalised, you needed an apostrophe in 'someones' (or you could have said "someone has"), oww isn't a word and there is no e in grammar ;)

When i read a post where the spelling is perfect i immediately assume that the person who wrote it is intelligent and takes pride in their spelling, and i respect that.
Here, here Serpenttongue............my thoughts exactly!!

serpenttongue said:
It annoys the hell out of me as well. I dont have time for it and i dont think it's cool at all. I especially can't stand "Dis" instead of "This".

When i read a post where the spelling is all shortened i immediately assume that the person who wrote it is very lazy and has no pride, and i disrespect that.

I like the English language and i have always enjoyed writing words properly. I even quickly check over my spelling before i hit SUBMIT because i don't wan't to be mistaken for one of those lazy people.

And when I read that type of perfect post, I GET Jeleous. :D

there is a huge difference between someone who is lazy, and someone who uses two different languages slatey..... :)

and just going off what you said ST, i don't think its lazy, i ahve always thought that they were about 15 years old, so i don't bother reading it. Maybe i might miss important information one day, who knows.

Can I just clarify the reasoning behind my original post, I was not trying to take a swipe at accidental spelling errors or shortening of occasional words (eg LOL, ppl) I was however discussing the fact that it makes it very time consuming and difficult to read and take seriously posts from members where it is entirely different from English. I have no desire to translate a post where the member is requesting help or giving advise. There was no intention of ridiculing anybody or saying that all entries were expected to be perfectly spelt and gramatically correct, however a slight effort would be appreciated.

As for SMS's being charged per letter, that is false. Yes there is a limit to the length of the sms but you are charged the same amount regardless of if you write "helo hw r u" or "hello, how are you?" Charges are per message not content.

Soooo... are you saying that this doesn't happen on other sites?

So it does happen on other sites, not just APS? Thought so! :) Mind you, I'm not criticising your statement [too much]. Just wish it didn't happen here! Would LOVE to know how to stop it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back