WHATS RONG WITH MY SNAKE?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike14

Reaction score
GUYS,
I'm freaking out my proserpine form coastal carpet is breathing funny, he is breathing like snakes do just before they go into shed, you know you can here it, but he just shed a little while ago. Do you know what the problem could be?
Here is the history of the snake:
Bought as a yearling, same age as my bredli, when he was picked up from airport he was the size of a hatchie, after a little while we realised he had mites, go rid of the problem then he had a prolaps, took him to the vet then we found out he had internal parasites aswell as a prolpas, hes been all fixed up and now is doing fine and just started to grow, and he is still only the size of a yearling or so now, now this im hoping this is just common after shed. PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP!

What do you mean he's breathing funny, is he making a noise?

Wow, I would take him to the vet ASAP to get him checked out again. When you say breathing funny like when they shed can you elaborate? I don't think our snakes breath funny, but then I don't normally have any contact with them as soon as they go into a shed cycle. If possible get a firm grip of it's head and gently roll the lower lip down to check the colour of the gums, they should be bright and clear not dull. Sorry I can't help more!

Gums can often show up mouth diseases which may cause breathing problems.

Is the snake breathing bubbles at all? Could be a respiratory infection or something as harmless as a bit of skin that was left loose near its nostrils that didnt come off in the last shed.

In any case as Simple said a trip to the vet seems to be in order.

I would take him 2 the vet. Whats ur temp in ur cage, size.

could be early signs of R.I. but we are going to need more info. Does it click when it breathes, have sag in neck "double chin", blowing bubbles? You may have caught it early enough to just bump up the temps and/or dont allow for overnight low, but i would not advise doing this unless you are sure the prognosis 100%. So check for these symptoms and update us. If adjusting the temps doesnt rectify the symptoms almost immediately (a day or so) get straight to a vet.

ps. dont take this as gospel, wait for a more senior members opinion before going ahead with any form of treatment. If you are seriously worried about your snake, go straight to the vet.

I'd take it to the vet anyways, better to be safe then sorry. I took 4 snakes to Dr. Rob Johnson the other week. Only cost me $68, altough 3 of the snakes were only there to be sexed.

ok temp is 34 degrees and humidity is 45%, here is a pic of its gums any ways

i couldnt get to wollongong this arvo, does any1 have an idea of what it may beee?

probly just some unshed skin inside the nostrils. did you check that before you bumped the temps,
called in the australian vetrinary league and did all the other stuff? :)

For now just keep it warm day and night. You may find this problem will go away by itself. If you see it getting worse then go to a vet. I'm sure there's good herp vets in your area.

if you need a vet in your area contact rob johnson or someone of the like and they will put you onto someone in your area, worked for me and the vet mark simpson couldn't be any better, just knew his stuff

ok i just checked him then, the breathing is not as heavy as last ngith niow and is juts a very small click sound so im hoping its just a bit of un shed shin in the nosteril, does any know how to make a snake sneeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back