Getting my first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First of all im new so a big hello to you all.

Ok i am anoutt o get my first snake. It will be a blonde mac python.

Can anyone give me the run down to keep the little guy happy. I have not got him yet as i just sent my liscence away but any help and info would be good. I have been doing alot of research on them but anything else would be great. Help about infections and diseases would be good as there is not much about it.

Cheers

Cameron

welcome to the site! firstly just read as many care sheets as you can get your hands on, and we would need to know how old the snake you are thinking of getting will be cause that will determine the set up and its need.

Welcome 2 the site Camo. Cant wait 2 see some pics.

Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

The spotted python(blonde mac) will be a hatchie at about 30cm and will be in a little clcik clack container for another 6 months but then i will upgrade to a 2ft tank if that is appropriate. How often should i feed my little fella when i get him. Can i play with him as i would love to have him as a family pet. What kind of diseases can snakes get and how do you go about treating it. I have heard they can get dirty cage syndrome? Oh and im in newcastle, NSW

Cheers

Cameron

I have heard they can get dirty cage syndrome?
never heard of it, sounds abit silly imo, but a dirty cage can lead to other probs. when you get it dont handle it or feed it for about a week, after which i would feed it and leave it for atleast another few days then it would be ok to start handling. i would feed every 5-7 days.

What are you going to use for heat ? A heat mat under one end of the click clack will work well as long as you get a thermal gradient .
Never heard of dirty cage syndrome but anyone would get sick living in there own filth so keep him clean .
I dont handle my snakes more then once a week or fortnight but you will get many different opinions on what to do .
I personaly cant see any reason once the little fella has settled in why you couldnt handle him every day for 20-30 mins as long as it dosent stress him ie stop him eating or him crapping or peeing on you when he is out etc...

Hey

Yes a heat mat will be used. What size one would be good to get. Will i need a thermostat for the heat mat or can i just put some thermometres on the inside of the tank and if its too cold at the end that is heated put the heat mat on the click clack more and vice versa if its hot.

Cheers

Cameron

You will learn something everyday when you get him, if he is sitting on the heat mat constantly then he probably needs a higher wattage one, and if he is up the cool end then probably needs to be a lighter wattage one.

Make sure its escape proof, they are unbelieavable escape artists, you wont need a thermostat for the heat matt, whack a thermometer in there to check what temps you are getting at both ends before you put him in.

Be sure to give him a hide as well, I havenoticed though that whatever end the hide is at is usually the end they will be at most with hatchies as they are a little nervous, hence why they are probably a little more snappier than adults!

Good luck and you will find great advice here (most of the time) and remember pics or it didnt happen!

Hey

Mate trust me its happening. he he he. I will get some pics as soon as he settles in a bit when i get him.

Should i put 2 hidey places in there with him, 1 at either end. Also he is coming in his own little enclosure when i get him so how can i make sure that his enclosure will be right temp as i will have to do it when i get home or do you reccomend i go and buy another little clcik clack. What size click clack would be suitable for a 30cm blonde mac and for him to be in it for another 6 months.

Cheers

Cameron

snake disease / infection stuff

hey just type "snake care' into google, i did this before i got my baby (my first one too!!) and got some great care sheets which tell you what diseases they are prone to and how to spot them (or when to be suspicious that your baby has one). covers nutritional probs, abcesses, stomatitis, sepsis, parasites etc. really good stuff to know (especially for me and my paranoia).
also, got some good anatomy and physiology for snakes from the net (again, google) written by a vet named HOLLY FRISBY. really interesting to see what is ticking inside the little buggers :)
have fun!!

Hey

Well thankyou for the google tips mate, i will do.

Well the breeder that i am getting the snake off said it is good to have them in the container for 6 months.

Cheers

Camo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back