Who's in to Birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell NO! Had to do abit of law as part of my study, lets just say I didn't really have a flair for it :)

lol, I have to chase mine to, but the worst ones are the rosellas, our hen nearly broke her neck flying into her cage afetr a stray cat came into our yard, thier very flighty panicky birds.

lols i our rainbows werent bad allthoug they didn't like hands they liked gloves but they were never bad with flying into things but our baby galah he used to fly down from the top
of his cage not that he was ever in it but he split his cheast open time after time so he had to go!

My wife is into minature horses and birds. The 2 eckys we have used to live in the house but became a real handfull as you couldn't do anything without them getting involved. They now live outside in an aviary and will hopefully bred soon.My wife also has galahs ,rainbow lorrikets, budgies and cockatiels. She now become attached to my baby blue tongues and is looking after them as well.

I've been a bird nut all my life with Aussie finches being my favourite , up untill a couple of years ago i had a large collection off them , amoung the species i kept were crimson finches (white and black bellied) ,gouldians ,painted firetails ,diamond firetails , masked, longtails , star , double bars ,blue faced parrots and some exotics. Nowdays i only have one bird a young major mitchels cockatoo ,he's one of the most affectionate birds i've come across and a real charector to.

hey swampie have you been told that majors turn nasty when they get older even if they have been hand tame for a long time? just had a few people tell me this and i have never understood why they would turn nasty unless you neglected them for a while that is

chirp chirp

I raised a tawny frogmouth when i was a youngster, it was a great experience. I also raised a magpie and reckon either of these two birds are fascinating characters. I'm not much into flashy colours when it comes to birds, i go for character.
Nowadays i have chickens and a rooster Lol.

Yeh Ricko it happens with alot of parrot and cocky species , it happens for a number of reasons one of which you have stated above , some people dont understand that they are inteligent and emotional animals and when you start spending less time with them they start to missbehave cos they are'nt getting much attention anymore , they are like children if you dont put the time into them they can become little monsters .

we've got breeding gouldians (when i say we i mean dad owns them but i take care of them) got three young out of there nests and expecting a few more to pop out soon.. also just put the nesting box in with the cockatiels... saw them doing things that indicte eggs are on the way ;)

can anyone recomend some small parrots or other birds about the size of a budgie? got a spare cage and mum wants to get a pair of something...

Megz

p.s good topic pete :)

I used to have a male eclectus, which I saved from a breeder (he was going to drop a brick on him) because he couldn't fly. He was THE best pet I have ever had. I compare him to a 2 year old child, they know what they want, and how to get it!! He was such a clever little bugger, you would put him somewhere secure (locked cage) come back half an hour later and find him on the floor!

His favorite past-time was sitting on my stomach, with my hand on his back, and he would fall asleep! He had a very unfortunate accident where he went to say hello to the goat one day, and the goat ran away, but the chain hit him, and he dies later that night. I still miss the poor little guy, he had so many years left, but I know he is flying around in birdie heaven :)

But I used to breed lots of aust.native parrots too, blue wings, scarlet chested, bourkes and various native quail.

hey there i may be able to help yous out my family is big into birds....and we have a few hand raised eclectus birds my mum and dad bred and my brother has alot of other parrots he breeds also pm if anyone is interested

I have a bunch of Australian finches in one great big aviary. Painted finches, Mask finches, red browed finches, star finches (cinnamon yellow), Diamond Firetails, Gouldians and Plumhead finches. I also have the exotic red faced parrot finches, a lone male golden shouldered parrot (he needs a girl, so if you know anyone......) and a male painted button quail (soon to be paired up).

-H

Currently Ive got Cockatiels (Whites and Cinnamons), Princess (Blue and normal), Bourke's (Normal, Cream and Pink), Red Stars, Diamond Doves and King Quail. Over the years I've also had Galahs, Peachies, Masked and Fischer's Lovebirds, Red-rumps, Zebbies, Double-bars, Orangebreasts, Cordon's, Gouldians and Redfaced parrotfinches.

White Cockatiels are on two chicks that hatched a few days ago, Cinnamons are on three eggs due to hatch in a week.

:p

Hix

Hey Megz, is your small cage like a budgie cage or is it an aviary. any of the neophema species are good birds (scarelts, bourkes, turqs) but they would need to be in an aviary. Otherwise, just buy one of hixies baby quarrions.

i would love to own a macaw but alas will have to put that on the "wot to buy when i win tattslotto wish list", oh and an owl wouldnt go astray they are the kewlest looking birds :)

I have had over the years a yellow crested cockatoo who we bought already tamed n talking when we first moved to aus and he was the cheekiest character i've known always saying scratch cocky scratch cocky you go n give him a lil pat and he would bite you and say F off thought it was so amusin being young n all, then theres been two galahs, the last unfortunately got let out by my younger brother at the time and flew out the back door never to be seen again, she was so tame too.
And now all we have is a sky blue ringed neck parrot (dads) but dont know the sex of it yet as its too young for the ring to appear, and i'm looking at buying a hand raised cockatiel or any bird that is hand raised, prefer a smart one that will talk in the future but thats all ive seen that is hand raised, it will be for my daughters second birthday as she loves birds and i want another one! So if anyone breeds them in Adelaide can you PM me? Thanks

I would love to get my hands on a baby eclectus to hand raise, but you aren't allowed to sell baby birds :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back