V. Tristis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

I've read all the books, now I'm interested in "hands on" experiences with these little beasties. Anyone out there who can give me an insight into what their like to keep?

Cheers,

Varanus.

I can provide a little experience. I kept a sub adult female and two hatchies for about 10 months. The female I bought was meant to be from the Kimberlies but I doubt she was. She was thin, grey, red, brown and very pretty though. She was extremely flighty, would freeze when anyone entered the room, then slink back behind the branch where she couldn't be seen. Sometimes she would eat while i was there, but this took a number of weeks. I found that all the animals loved it seriously hot as we all know, but still with a high 20 cool area. One of my hatchlings tried to kill the other so they were seperated. In my case, it seemed that the animals were good in a group, however when i purchased the hatchie pair, they just wouldn't get on. The dominant one was serperated. It grew much faster than the other one, was shy but also comfortable with my presence. The smaller one was extrememly timid, however did begin to get more relaxed as it got bigger. They were great animals, just a too shy for my liking. The female was unfortunately crushed when she dislodged a branch so that was the end of her, and I sold the little ones. The little ones had to be kept in aquariums because they were too small for sliding doors. They are also extremely fast and agile, capable of jumping out of enclosures!
If you've got any more questions, let me know,
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back