Goodbye Nymph

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys gave him a much better chance than many other people, some would not go to such efforts so good on you both for what you did for him. Still, a sad loss none the less but one which is obviously for the better. Sorry to hear Zo and Luke.

Daz

Sorry to here that, ive been following the progress also, coastal or GTP they are part of the family, good on you for giving him the best chance he could get.

Condolences

Pugs

Poor Nymph. Sorry to hear it guys. You can't say you didn't try ever avenue to help him. Bloody good effort.

really sorry. :cry:

you should be congratulated on your efforts to keep nymph alive.
sorry to hear about your loss.
cheers.

Its never to no avail my friends! The things you have learnt is invaluable and you should always see it that way. Its the tools that make you a better animal keeper one day. The big old learning process in life. Can you imaging how many animals you will save by what you learnt with just one snake. Still a pity though. And heartbreaking I know!

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

It's true he's taught us a lot! How to give injections and how to put a tube down his throat...Luke learnt how to pluck chickens and I learnt I don't cope well with that regurgitation smell :lol: ;)

pssst i think that smell was you :)

no serious we have learnt so much and it will make us all the better for it. Its just a shame it has to come at a cost.

A necropsy might be a good idea. Cutting him open may well reveal the problem quite clearly. I know of several cases where people have pulled their hair out over reptiles for up to two years, thinking there was some form of infection or metabolic disorder, then when the animal was cut open and inspected, the cause has been clear. Things like foreign objects in the intestinal tract, a broken rib puncturing an organ causing problems with locomotion (this can be exacerbated when food presses against it, often causing regurgitation), there is a well known example of a death adder having a spinifex spine lodged in its trachea, that story was published in monitor. With a snake like this you'd be crazy not to cut it open and have a thorough look, for the sake of your piece of mind and the rest of your collection. There is a lot more you can do to a dead animal than a live one and a lot you can do a lot more easily. This would be worth doing even if you don't want to pay for it; ask around and get someone with a reasonable knowledge of anatomy and experience dissecting to do it for you. If it's something as obvious as a bone or foreign object causing a problem, even an undergrad biology student should be able to give you the cause of the problem. In third year I did a couple of dissections of dead animals to determine the causes of death, I'm sure if you ask your nearest university with a decent biology department they'll happily do it for free.

My heart is with you. I always cray helplessly when any of my pets die, whether its a mouse or a dog.

Well, Nymph is in pain free snake heaven, with lots and lots of rats to eat and lots of lovely ladies :)

Sdajo he's actually had 2 exploratory surgeries almost 12 months apart and the second time the vet made 3 incisions so he could look at as much as he possibly could. All he found was a shockingly inflamed stomach...apparently it had 2 distinctive layers when there should only be one. The biopsies brought back nothing unfortunately and baffled the pathologists. Because of that and the fact that we're confident it's nothing contagious we agreed with the vet not to do one. It's probably too late now anyway :?

Zoe and Luke sorry to hear guys. I know what it is like to lose a really good Herp. Mine was through the female Scrub that I had but never the less it sucks big time. I know you both help put up the good fight and that is more then a lot of people would have done. Let's hope that you never have anything like that again in the future. I know you take good care of your animals so if it happened to one of yours then you know it was fate. I know it doesn't help but hope it does.

There's a lot more you can do to a dead snake than to a live snake without hurting it and you can do it a lot more easily. I'd always recommend cutting open a dead snake and having a thorough look if the cause of death isn't know. It's such an easy way to learn so much. In any case, if it's too late with this one it's too late. You clearly don't need to be told, but if it's a loved pet, there's no value in statements like "it's only a Carpet", even to a Carpet hater like me. Clearly you did all you could for him.

Sorry to hear the sad news, it must have been a difficult time for you guys. I think you done everything possible for him, but I guess it's never easy to loose something that has been a part of your life. All the best guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back