im new to keeping a python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydz

Reaction score
i just got my baby prosopine python yesterday and i like would to know how to handle it without it biting me cause there a guy we bought it off and he said we have to handle it often so it gets use to me but doesnt seem to like it when i reach in to handle it so please give me instruction tomorrow

You can't, you can use a hook to get it out. You can put gloves on, or just simply grin and bare it. :lol: It'll come around eventually

if you only got it yesterday let it settle for a week or so before you start handling it. It'd be extremely stressed at the moment which doesnt help.

The best thing to do is to leave it for a week to settle into it's new environment before you try handling it. If it's a juvie it shouldn't hurt too much when they bite (my poor little 6 year old has been copping hell from her baby :lol: ). After that just try not to flinch when it bites and keep handling it. If it sees that you leave it alone after it's bitten you it may keep doing it.

Hey I myself bought a juvi proserpine a few months ago and she was VERY snappy to begin with esspecially when you wanted to take her out. I was told this is because she is territorial but i left her alone for a few weeks to settle in and gradually started handling her. She is now so quiet that i have no problem taking her out of her enclosure (except on her feeding day :wink:) my 4yr old son plays with her and she has never bitten him (TOUCH WOOD :D).
Give your new baby time and she will make a great pet.
Cheers
Nikki

What everybody says hits the nail much on the head. Another thing i might add is that after the weeklong solitude given, it still is a little snappy. Don't worry as most hatchlings as snappy at first until they feel more relaxed and realize that they are not in any danger and feel very secure in their environment. Dan

Yeah if the flouro is for UV, you dont really need it, you can take the snake out for a bit of sun every now and then, as long as you hold it or dont let it get far away from you, cos birds will be keen on snatching it up..

Then you can just take the flouro out of the tank, and your snake wont get burned or electricuted..

You cant leave the heat on during the day but it should be on a thermostat, so you dont over heat the snake..

what is best tempreture to keep the enclosure at

I recommend a constant 29 oC at the warm end if it's a hatchling. Best to have a cooler end as well so it can choose exactly the temp it wants.

When you do start to handle it, to help it get used to you and feel safe with you, try the "hand cave". This is where you hold the hatchling in your hands, one cupped over the other, making a nice dark warm cave. The hatchling feels nice and cafe and cosy, and learns to associate your smell with feeling this way.

I have done this with lots of snakes, and find it to be really effective. You may want to read a current thread in "herp help" called "Just got my first Childreni Hatchy, handling query" SLACkra talks about the hanc cave also, and has the very good suggestion of turning on the teev before you get the snake out.

My childreni girl, Shu, who I calmed down using the hand cave still gets "first contact" in her enclosure with a hook though.

for a hatchie a 2 foot broom stick with a coat hanger hook scewed in the end works fine fr a year or two

a urs pocket hook is great for hatchies or make 1 from a pastic coated coat hanger i ould aso recomend 30-31 deg as a temp except if its a dimond then i would say 28-30
thats my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back