Who runs thermostats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Do you use a thermostat in your reptile enclosures?

If so post your temp extremes in a set format like this:

Yes. Hot = 30 Cold = 23

--OR--

No. Hot = 30 Cold = 11

Then any comments to support your decision

I actually lied by voting no, because i do have 2 enclosures wired thru thermostats one of them is stuck on and the other came with a $15 enclosure and It is used in a way that it doesnt do much and doesnt need to be relied on.
ATM hot ends are around 33 cool ends about 28(room temp)
I turn off heating if room temp gets over about 30.

Depends on location ant the local temperatures.. and time of year...
If I lived on the equator I probably would'nt use a thermostat...
If I lived in Siberia... I think I most definitely would :lol:

Colin, i'd go the opposite to you. If i lived on the equator i'd use a thermostat as the chances of overheating the cage would be high. Whereas you could have the heat on 24/7 in Siberia with no risk of overheating, therefore eliminating the need for a thermostat.

I run some in some enclosures and dont run them in others you need a 3rd option.. lol

yes.
25-35
Main reason is that the heat tape goes up to 41-42 without a thermostat. I can't insulate the tape to lower the temps because it then gets too cold at night. Plus sometimes we use the air con and sometimes we don't so the house varies in temperature significantly.

Yes

We live in Parramatta (big with the temp extremes) with no air-con/heating & little insulation. So our thermostat is set at 27 at the hot end (with heat lamps & heat mat - it's a 900mm high enclosure) and the cool end just gets as cold as the room temp.

It's handy having it as I don't have to worry about 'Zar getting too hot or cold.

KathandStu said:
Yes

We live in Parramatta (big with the temp extremes)

I'm in Greystanes (about 5mins from you).. we have the same problem with the temp extremes hence the use of the thermostats. I still insist on using the lowest wattage heaters I can to get enough heat. That way if a thermostat does blow, the temp extremes won't be too bad.

Not me, no sir eeeee.
The bigger the temp gradiant that you can give your herps the better.

me either, no thermostats for me, wait actually i lied, i have one thermostat and that is used for my incubator and thats all. :)

Trueblue,
Wouldn't the entire enclosure have an abient temp then?
(as in air temp throughout the enclosure)

How do you get a gradient from one end to another?

JC, only when the ambient air temp is 30 or more and heat is turned off, other wise there is a large temp gradient especially in cool weather as the snake can bask in warm side for as long as it wants to get as warm as it wants and still has acsess to what ever the room temp is which in my snake room is much the same as out side so if the temps drop below 10 degrees my snakes can and do take advantage of it, and yet they will still feed cause they know they have a constant warm area to go to digest food, or keep antibodies active to keep sickness away. Common sense really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back