2 month old V.Storri - Awwwwww

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine are just about full grown now Saz and they do draw blood when they bite... But that's not so often... Don't know about yours but compared to even Netteds these guys are QUICK QUICK QUICK when they want to be... Saying all this though I've found what Saz is saying that they can be hand fed. Netteds are just pigs in comparison aren't they?? :) I have the V.storri ochreatus..

Were you asleep??????? :lol: They were in an enclosure that they had never been in before, it was a hell of a lot smaller than they were used to and at a new address so they were freaking out (new smells). For the short time that I had them out they wouldn't stay still and only wanted to run away...that's flighty and a bit stressed, thats why I didn't have them out for more than 1 minute. When they are in their big cage they are very cautious animals, but come lunch time they will feed from my hand.

i have to agree they are cute! so you are keeping them in a plastic tub? any issues with the plastic and 50'C basking spots. i am going to guess uv isn't nessesary right, like gilleni?

with the cat food do you heat it up or just straight from the can? have you seen if they will take pinky mice? they would be too small for mince wouldn't they? the guy who talked at the VHS mentioned a recipe(for larger monitor species) that has around the same nutrition of hole rodents, 4.5kg of lean mince turkey and 2 crushed up centrum tablets. think there was something else too. you could make like 2.25kg and just freeze it in small sizes, enough food for months :p

andrew

Crikey yes, my netteds are total pigs!!! They make a LOT of mess too. My Storrs have never gotten even close to the speed of my netteds. Mind you, it was't until I put the netteds in a large enclosure that they managed to get up a bit of speed.

Anyone know when these guys are able to be sexed and how to do it?

:0)

Oooo...it would be good to have that receipe!! Do you have a link for it? I don't heat up the cat food, just leave it room temp. They aren't under a 50degree basking spot as hatchlings. They are under a 75 watt lamp with a low wattage hat matt underneath. Not sure if the plastic tubs would withstand a 50 degree hotspot LOL!! They don't require UV, although when I move them to their adult enclosure I will use a heat matt at night and a 160 watt heat globe during the day which has UVA and UVB for them anyway.

They are still too small for pinky mice at this stage.

Would be good to get that recipe if possible. I am going to buy a few ice cube trays to freeze their cat food in as one cube would be more than enough food for a meal at this stage!!

Congrats there stunning, Saz. Monitors are lovely animals to own. I have a pair of Pygmy Mulga Monitors, and they are a joy to observe, full of energy and character. I want to eventually get bigger Monitor's in the future, I've always loved the Sand Monitors.

i have such bad memory, i cant even remember you taking them out

Hey Sarah,
You're really starting to get a very impressive collection :roll: Jealous!
Awesome pics of your Storrs, cute little fellas.
yes they will be very quick as they get older.
I don't think they can be sexed until they are at least 1 year old, Virtually impossible to sex them with out X-raying them i have been told, just like ackies :lol:
good luck with them
Cheers
Rob

Hi Saz
Heres some pics to help you ID male from female.
Storrs are easy to sex as adults but as juvs very hard.
Things to look for on a male are red colored bars running down on the back.
Males also have a much thicker neck & a more triangler head.
Females are not as colorfull & dont have the pronounced bars on the back.
Females also have a neck no wider then her head.
I have attached a few pics of my breeders, see if you can see the differance.
1st is a gravid female that lays 13 eggs at a time.
2nd is a breeding setup for all types of small monitors.
3rd is some offspring.
4th is a female adult.
5th pic a male adult.
My storrs are very friendly, just give them time.
By the looks from your pics you put up, they are looking like a male & female.
You got them for a bargin price too!!
All the best,
Jason Lapins

Thanks for the pics!! The larger of the two has a line running down the back, and the lightly smaller one doesn't, but the smaller one has more colouration at this stage. We'll see!

well i will have 2 get me some of them one day, so small and so cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back