Bredli's First Shed (pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am so excited! My new Bredli hatchie shed for the first time today (since I have had her) and I must say, she is just gorgeous!! And it was all one piece.

I am really annoyed though, I missed the best photo opportunity because my camera is slow to focus. She was sitting on my hand facing me, about 20cm's away and she did this HUGE yawn, but I missed it :(

Anyway, here are some pics, hope you like!

-neens

p.s I still cant think of a name!! One of my friends suggested Scarlet?

She very nice i just went to get my childreni out and she's sheding too so will try get some pics when she sheds aswell!

very nice, always excitment when your snake sheds for the first time isn't it, oh so many years ago for me....should be a great looking snake, well done

Nice work nina! Mine were that size not so long ago damn they grow quick!

Here is my female yearling from Bob Whitey, there such a great snake..

4b880e9353c848d16a05362a380e3574.jpg

Thanks everyone! She is just growing so fast. Unfortunately my camera doesn't do her much justice.

Pugsly: How long is your bredli?? And at what age did you start feeding bigger meals,say, weaner rats??

Nina, personally I would'nt be hurrying to convert to rats so quickly (no doubt many will disagree with this)

I think the best method is to start your animals on live pinkie mice, then once they are feeding, increase the size of their food at regular intervals. Then work your way from pinkie mice to adult mice before you convert them to rats. It's also a good idea to try to have your animals keen to feed on either thawed or fresh food.

Some people try to convert their animals to rats very early on, so for example they might go from hopper mice to pinkie rats (about the same size food). In my opinion this causes the animal to produce very runny faeces because pinkie rats don't have any fur and I don't think this is good for the animals health. I prefer to progress my animals to full size mice, then when you convert to rats you choose food about the size of adult mice, and these rats should be well furred.Once animals convert to rats their growth rate escalates a little.

I monitor my animals growth by shed cycle. In my opinion a juvenile animal grows to its optimum if it sheds every 6-8 weeks. If you grow it at a level where it sheds in less than 6 weeks, then you will most likely end up with a pin-headed snake, and possibly risk the animals health in the long term. If any animals shed in less than 6 weeks then I reduce their feeding rate. Of course nothing replaces watching and monitoring your animals to see that they remain in good health and grow appropriately, but have found this 6-8 week cycle a very good monitoring tool.

The above method was related to me by Southern Cross Reptiles.

Hi Nina :)
She's beautiful - you should be a very proud Mum :)
One day when I finally get a bredli, I would like to call it Ayres. Three guesses why lol
Sometimes I find that if I'm having difficulty naming a particular animal, I try and grab it out more often (or in a snakes case, look at it while it's in its cage lol) and see what name I keep calling it. Sometimes that can be the best one ;)
Ooh oh!! Here's an idea!! Write down a whole heap of names that you really like on one name per small piece of paper. Lay them out on the ground in a circle, put your lil girl down in the middle and see which one she goes toward ;) ;)
Good luck, and congrats again :)
Bex

hahah thanx for the hints bex!! I just cant name any of my animals, my other snake and beardy dont have names, and my cat is called Puss. How orignal!!

I am really leaning towards scarlet or ruby though. She just seems like such a girly girl snake lol. I keep expecting her to be patting her scales or looking in the mirror when I pick up her hide log lol!!

lol
I have about 45 animals here and surprisingly, they all have names lol
I also have a not pad where I write down good names wen they come to me, ie from a movie or book, a place that's mentioned on TV etc etc. Makes it MUCH easier when the need arises lol
Did you get her on a Tuesday at all?? lol, if you did, I would be going with 'ruby' ;)
Bex

Ruby Tuesday is a song ;)

"Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I'm gonna miss you... "

Bex :)

All juv carpets except true jungles are big enough to eat pink rats for their first feed, and any young i keep back gets fed rats from day one. They thrive on them and no harm at all will be done to them. Never had a prob with runny poos as colin suggests.?? Lean rats are a much better and healthier food source than mice IMO. Mice are all fur and bones with less nutritinal value. They also seem alot more suseptable to diseases.

All juv carpets except true jungles are big enough to eat pink rats for their first feed, and any young i keep back gets fed rats from day one. They thrive on them and no harm at all will be done to them. Never had a prob with runny poos as colin suggests.?? Lean rats are a much better and healthier food source than mice IMO.

I agree with TB, if you can by-pass the mouse stage, do so, your worms will thank you for it :) Runny poos will come from any rodent that has lived too long in the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back