can some one please help me ma beardie wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt06

Not so new Member
Reaction score
about 1 and a half weeks ago a got a bearded dragon and he/shes not eating i've tried feeding it moths, crickets and mealworms can some one please help me on this

Hi Matt.
:) How old is it? Has it eaten at all since you got it? They can take some time to get used to a new environment.

its a western bearded dragon,
i dont quite a an actual cage for it yet so yea is there a temp 4 beadies? :oops:

yea i dont know how old it is but its about 6 cm from head to tail if that helps

Where did you get it from? If you don't have a proper cage set up you shouldn't have the beardy mate, the animal suffers, and they need heating in order to digest food etc.

its in the container i got him in but hes got heating an everything

How big is the container that it's in now? How is it heated?

umm the contanier is about 40 by 40cm its heated i got a reptile lamp

I'm guessing that the lid to the container is off so the dragon can bask under the heat lamp, right? Also beardeds can enter a state of depression when they aren't exposed to UV light. They tend to dislike being exposed to just the yellow or red glow thats given off from many reptile globes.

Have you provided UV lighting?

i dont realy know bout the uv or wat light it is so i take it out side f0r and hour or two

Matt, you really need to read up about keeping bearded dragons, it doesn't sound like you are really sure about what they need. It's really really important to do this because reptiles aren't like other pets, they can and will die if not kept properly. Your dragon isn't eating because it is not in the right environment, and it will lose condition very quickly at that rate.

Does anyone know of a caresheet?

Matt, can you post a pic of what you are keeping it in for now?

Try different coloured vegies shredded or cut up very fine. I bought one hatchy that didn't want to eat crickets or roaches at first but it would always take vegies from the tweezers, after a week or so of keeping it going on that it started to eat roaches again. Eating something is better than nothing. I found carrot, alfalfa sprouts, corn and red capsicum are always popular.

Hi Matt. The only care sheet I have is from my breeder. It's only 6cm from nose tip to tail tip? It must only be a week old or there abouts! You didn't mention where you got it from Matt - I'm surprised anyone would sell you one so young without making sure you knew how to look after it properly. If you got it from a breeder he would have been able to give you all the info on how to look after it. Is it drinking? If not, mist it with water on its face so it can drink the droplets. The reptile heat lamp could actually be cooking him. In small containers a heat lamp is too hot. You only need a heat mat under the container, a UV light & as someone has already said, there must be a heated end & a cool end. The heat mat only goes under half the container. Putting it out in the sun for an hour or 2 is not going to give it enough UV - you have to get a UV light. You really need to get in touch with a breeder to get all the info fast. Maybe a breeder would temporarily take him for you while you get up to speed & get all your equipment.
Good luck.
Sing

Oh forgot to say......under no circumstances give it mealworms. They will kill a baby dragon as will any food that is not small enough.

Mealworms are a very poor food to feed anything. Their exo-skeloton is very hard to digest, they are all fat, and have very little nutriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back