Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiest

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Can anyone on the site who knows anything about the Oenpelli python please enlighten me.
I do not need to know the usually such as live in rocksi narnhem land etc.
But anything that isn't so obvious and anecdotal reports would be great.

Thank you

What else do you want to know other than what you can find by googling? I doubt very much that anyone here's going to give you anything to do with their husbandry...

I am not concened with their husbandry. I am wanting to know if anyone has spent time in the area and has any anecdotal reports or stories about them. Or if anybody has every seen one or knows aything about their habits in the wild.

Thanks

I caught one once............it was at the Wild Expo in 2004..... :wink: :lol:

I think i heard that they can change colour, from brown to grey and vice versa, quite rapidly..?

Yep, Prof Shine wrote that they turn ghostly grey at night & brown during the day, or words to that effect.

Also, legend has it that the really big ones grow bigger than Scrub Pythons, making them Australia's longest snake!

haha yea very nice.

That must be the TWP oenpelli.

yes they do experience a dial colour change.

any more nformation would be great

thanks

They like to knit. Cant of course, no knitting needles.

BTW Hugsta got almost to the carpark before they could get someone to tackle him and get the snake back. I told him to pass it but he thought he could score on his own.

PMSL Pete, damn there big! Do you think Weigal will ever get a license to collect a few specimens?

Pugsly, the problem with collecting them isnt the licence, more their location. Their range is entirely within Aboriginal tribal land, and thus cannot be collected without permission from the tribal elders. There is more of a chance if someone donates to the Aboriginal communities and is given some as a gift.This species is tied up in all sorts of red tape, and the fact that there is really minimal successful husbandry knowledge, and a poor captive history that I seriously doubt that they will ever be readily available to private keepers within our life-times.

No problems, he can just "donate" a pair of Rough-scaled Pythons to them, and in return they can give him a "gift" of a pair of Oenpelli's. Too easy :)

This species is tied up in all sorts of red tape, and the fact that there is really minimal successful husbandry knowledge, and a poor captive history that I seriously doubt that they will ever be readily available to private keepers within our life-times.
I must agree, had they been left in the hands of private keepers before they were confiscated I'm sure they would be available to us all by now. I can't see the TWP breeding them any time soon, that particular animal that was at the Wild Expo died not long after it went home.

Splitmore said:
I can't see the TWP breeding them any time soon, that particular animal that was at the Wild Expo died not long after it went home.
Oh really? Poor thing :( Does anyone have any idea what it is about them that makes them do so poorly in captivity?
On a lighter note Hugsta, you look like the cat that got the canary in that shot :lol:

What's this TWP that's been mentioned a couple of times?

Does anyone have any idea what it is about them that makes them do so poorly in captivity?
I've heard that they're very sensitive to stress.

IMO if that's the case they shouldn't be used as demo's in public shows.
That fact that it died shortly after the show may illustrate this vulnerability.
No offence meant to you at all Hugsta, as you look like you're holding it well supported, gently & with respect.

Reptiles often don't show any obvious signs that they're stressed.
With respect to the well-meaning organizers, IMO the Oenpelli's should be a look but don't touch species.

I agree zen, because of their known stress levels, that animal should never of been dragged around the country to dispay and let people play with it. Could well be the reason behind it passing away.?

That would seem to be the logcal conclusion to come to Blue. Especially if the animal in question came from the wild (please correct me if I have that wrong) and had lived most of it's life with little or no human contact.

I believe that that particular animal did die of a stress-related illness. I don't know what animal wouldn't after being molested by hugsta though! :shock: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back