Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigblackdog said:
Thought about it, but II want to get used to handling the reptile & getting to feel how it moves.
It's 99% psychological!

Just use the gloves until he gets used to you and stops bitting. Most snakes will stop after a little while. Try and be as confident with him as you can it helps.

NSavage said:
\Yes i have a very good idea of how big they get which is a problem coz my other half wont go near my little coasty let alone anything bigger. I'm fully aware of the implications of having a burmese python and it's a dream that will probably never become a reality especially considering how big an enclosure it would require. But how about a green tree python, how do you go about handling them when they have a habit of being particularly snappy? I'd love to have a breeding pair eventually...

You can't keep Burms in Australia. They're exotic.

:p

Hix

Over the years I have been bitten by everything imagineable and although you do get used to it and generally ignore a bite sometimes they catch you by surprise. Recently I took a small Blond Mac out of it's box and it grabbed my finger, although it had bitten me loads of times before and since I was talking and was taken by surprise and pulled my hand away and he landed on the floor. He wasn't hurt but it did surprise me how I reacted.
It's like someone coming up behind you and poking you in the ribs, you just react automatically.

Mate, you should consider yourself lucky that your hatchy bites you ... one of mine poops on me every time I pick it up. Its amazing how something so small can make such a big smell.

CodeRed said:
Mate, you should consider yourself lucky that your hatchy bites you ... one of mine poops on me every time I pick it up. Its amazing how something so small can make such a big smell.

hehe, so true. I had a hatchy Bredli out showing some relo's that were over.. I was in the middle of my sales pitch i.e. "they're great pets, low allergenic, low maintenance, they don't smell...." and bam.. it sprayed crap all over the tiles and my hand, filfthy stuff and it stank.

I'm definately no "old hand" at snake handling, but being in the same position you currently are i have opted to use a hook to get my coastal out every time, and then i place her on my hands. She has not bitten me yet using this method, and once on my hands she calms right down.

I too am a "big girls blouse" when it comes to the thought of being bitten. Heck i am scared of needles, let alone 40-50 of them at the same time. However, as a recent newbie, this is the advice that i was given that was comfortable for me, and obviously for the snake.

DrOsteo, I think hooking a snake out of the enclosure is a sensible approach to minimise the chance of being bitten. Many would argue that you need to use your hands to let the snake get used to you, but personally I don't think snakes are hugely intelligent, however they are good hunters and a warm hand moving toward them could easily be mistaken for some food. I find another way is to open the cage door and give the snake a few mins to make it's way out. As it exits the cage just place a hand under it gently and let it use you like a branch.

most hatchlings tend to bite at some stage, but after a while generally settle down... I have a WA stimson hatchling at the monent that is hilarious... rears up like a cobra with its tail wiggling frantically and lunges (almost throws itself) at me whenever I have to clean its tub, feed it etc... but in time will settle down :lol:

I have found all antaresia sp. to be amongst the worst when it comes to being 'aggressive'.

Bigblackdog said:
What really p!sses me off is that I KNOW it's not gonna hurt, but I'm still jumpy as hell - instinct maybe?
And after long and careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that I'd MUCH rather be nipped NOW than LATER!
Especially about 6 months later...

Hahah, same here. My little Bredli tagged me once, and I was like "what the hell was that! I've had kittens do more damage to me. I'm dissapointed in you", and despite now knowing that it won't hurt, it still doesn't stop me from being ultra cautious, or jumping back if she strikes at me from inside her enclosure.

DrOsteo said:
I'm definately no "old hand" at snake handling, but being in the same position you currently are i have opted to use a hook to get my coastal out every time, and then i place her on my hands. She has not bitten me yet using this method, and once on my hands she calms right down.

I too am a "big girls blouse" when it comes to the thought of being bitten. Heck i am scared of needles, let alone 40-50 of them at the same time. However, as a recent newbie, this is the advice that i was given that was comfortable for me, and obviously for the snake.

That's exactly what I do. I'll use the hook to get her out, and then have her slide onto my hands, where she's generally fairly passive.

So many times i've wanted to plunge my hands in and just pick her straight up, but she's such a feisty little thing. The number of times she's tagged the hook...

Yesterday a bit of her body was poking out from under her rock, and i touched it, only to have her tag the wall, then come out and hunt me down. She's nuts I tell ya! Definitely not a scaredy cat my Bredli. Funnily enough, when it's feeding time, she doesn't even attempt to strike the mouse, she'll just casually wander up to it and start eating. But me, me she'll have a go at. :p

I think I might go with the gardening gloves until I get my confidence up.
I was thinking of heavy-duty garden gloves (my scorpion handling gloves) in my half-asleep state last night, but will get a pair of light cotton gloves since the little buggers don't hurt.
Hopefully this 'protection' will stop me being so bloody jumpy!

Here's my new boy late last night...

Hix said:
NSavage said:
\Yes i have a very good idea of how big they get which is a problem coz my other half wont go near my little coasty let alone anything bigger. I'm fully aware of the implications of having a burmese python and it's a dream that will probably never become a reality especially considering how big an enclosure it would require. But how about a green tree python, how do you go about handling them when they have a habit of being particularly snappy? I'd love to have a breeding pair eventually...

You can't keep Burms in Australia. They're exotic.

:p

Hix

Yes i've since gathered that... not happy... why?

CodeRed said:

My coasty's getting into a habit of doing this. Does anyone know why that might be?

All exotics are illegal. It's also (superficially anyway) illegal to sell Australian animals to anyone overseas. I notice this doesn't stop zoos, parks and the like from doing it but anyway....We have more fauna protection laws than most countries from what I've heard. It's done (at least in part) to protect our native animals from the threats posed by introduced species.

it is also a defence ploy, alot of snakes will crap when a pedator grabs them, and thats what it thinks you are.

Especially if it's near your face much. I've seen lots of kids who own snakes get into the habit of having "kisses" with their snakes. The poor hatchy feels something huge breathing over the top of it and thinks it's about to get eaten.

My little bro (haydz) has been bitten by all the snakes in our house... 5ft Diamond Python, 4ft Spotted python and heaps of times from his baby coastal.. he never even sheds a tear! he is only 10.. im yet to be bitten by any of them, if i think its gonna tag me.. i con my little bro into getting him out of the cage for me!!.lol , it is purely pyscological though, i know the coastals little bites dont hurt.. but its just the fact of being bitten by a snake that takes time to get over.. my little bro has had blood drawn twice, and he reckons its nothing.. so it cant be that bad!...

Our spotted python is the most tames of all, u can grab her pretty much anyway and she wont even bother.. the diamond.. sometimes it feels like its going to bite , but it just tries to run around the tank to avoid you picking her up.. im thinking a hook is the best thing for picking up the diamond ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back