Any suggestions???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid68

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Last clutch of eggs I got had these marks on them (it's not mould, the photo was taken within 10 minutes of being layed).
Has anyone seen this before and knows what it is?????

the number 5? never seen a snake with such good handwriting. With any sort of handwriting for that matter. You will make millions. :p :p

what does the snake lay on?

Just looks like a bit of odd calcification of the shell? Although I've never seen that on any eggs before!! Could possibly be some remnant blood or feacal matter from when she was depositing the eggs?

Cheers Rossco.

If you have "Pythons of the world" Vol 1, go to page 102. There's a pic of a jungle on eggs and the surface of those eggs resembles your own eggs - minus the brown bits.

Answers to the above questions :

- No, that's my hand writing, not the snakes (As soon as I made the post I knew someone was going to say it)
- Species is Collett
- No I don't have a copy, I've been meaning to get it just haven't got around to it

It is not disimilar to BTS eggs that I recently had to remove from an eggbound specimen. Could be calcium problem, eggs retained to long, stress, lack or even excess of certain essential nutrients during forming of the eggs or climate. Or it could be a disease that effects egg production. In other words, I havent got a clue.
Thanks for posting it though. would really be intetrested if it is viable.

Seen a coastal of a freinds on the sunshine coast drop a simular looking clutch to that egg, they had pits and lumps all over them, but most hatched out normal young with no ill effects, although a few did go off and he rarely lost eggs if layed fertile.

samma 31 you cracked me up. i nearly choked on my cup of tea

I had a clutch of carpet python eggs which looked similar, but more extreme. The uncalcified patched looked like polka dots all over the eggs (thirty something of them). They were yellow at first, I thought the clutch was no good, but incubated them anyway. They gradually turned black, which I thought was the yellow egg yolk going off, but it turned out that the black colour was the baby snakes inside, the 'polka dots' were like windows, you could see into the eggs. All the eggs were fertile and there were three sets of twins. One set of twins hatched out fine, one set had one hatch and one die in the egg, the last set of twins died inside the egg, the rest of the eggs hatched into healthy babies. The twins which did hatch were among the best feeders and grew very well.

a mate of mine had a similar marking on his childrens eggs but with a more definate "star" type of pattern
lost 50% of the clutch but that could just have been from bad husbandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back