NPWS - Considered online licencing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemart

Reaction score
Just wondering if NPWS has considered an online licencing system, or if other people think it is a good idea.

Once given your licence you could get login details. The site could have an auto password reset that sends a password back to a nominated account to avoid too much administration work.

All of the licence entries could be done online. Potentially, transfers between keepers would be done in real-time (or as soon as either party enters the information). For example, If I bought a snake from Mr.Blog RK99999, when I login to my side it may have a reminder for me to confirm a transfer initiated by RK99999. Searching for a species code would be a thing of the past as there could simply be a categorised search. Breeding records could be tracked alot better, including the ability/possibility for a pedigree system further down the track. Yearly fauna book returns would be much less of a burden for NPWS as they would only have to enter the details from the keepers without internet access.

The potential to purchase licence renewals, import/export permits online and pay with a CC is also there.. the list is endless. I'd imagine with a little modification of the data, it could also be used for aviculture and mammal keepers...

Just a thought.. wouldn't be too difficult to build either.

NPWS

It would be a great idea! It would also reduce costs for NPWS by not having to mail all of the new books back out to members. Mail outs alone would be expensive as it cost $1.25 per post so depending on the amount they send back out :roll:
There are so many cost efficiencies with an Internet based licencing model that it should be looked into.

They are allegidly testing the pay online system. Well I attended a trial in the city a few months ago. Haven't heard an outcome from the days process yet. Very good idea Reptimart. May stop a few of the dodgy dealing along the way. Food for thought NSW NPWS / DEC

I would imagone it would be a head ache for NPWS , as there are certain to be poeple who have no internet or would not use the inline service , so NPWS would have two systmes running for the same thing , may get confusing .

as there are certain to be poeple who have no internet or would not use the inline service

true but depending on your location some people without an internet connection would be able to access the internet via libraries etc.

i would be happy to see a system like that up in vic.

andrew

SLACkra said:
as there are certain to be poeple who have no internet or would not use the inline service

true but depending on your location some people without an internet connection would be able to access the internet via libraries etc.

i would be happy to see a system like that up in vic.

andrew

I agree it would be a good idea , but cant see it happening .

I agree it would be a good idea. My main concern would involve the possible hacking of information etc and the security of their system.

i have been thinking about this subject alot since i went out to peterjohnson's house to pick up some lizards and it would be much easier than the current system IMO. Maybe a petition is in order? or a voting poll in this thread. . .

It would be a great idea if it were executed correctly. You could have the option of being logged onto the internet system or have the books mailed out. If the system was set up correctly they would only have to administer those that weren't online.

Im all for it !

I only have one snake and one lizard and it seems pointless to send and receive the 11 page Fauna record book each year.

Being the Department of Environment & Conservation - having the option for online Fawna Recording would be in line with their department.

honey u do not have to send the book back if your animals have not changed just a letter or is it a form they send u ??? anyhow it can be done have done it befor..

this is a good idear but wouldnt it put some employees out of a job just something to think abt

I would love to see online processing but I know that NPWS are concerned that MORE dodgy deals would be done. I personally diagree with their position as they could have validations on all info so that you couldn't actually transfer a herp that you ahdn't had for 6 months and you can't put in false lice details etc. It could also confirm both sides of the transaction. You would still need some sort of annual return jsut to confirm the correctness of your data.

Although I wouldn't like to see online immediate issuing of licences. I like to keep people waiting, even up to a month, for their licence. It gives them a chance to change their mind and recuded the possibility of impulse buying. Otherwise, a kid could come to my place, like my water dragons, get online, get a licece and then take a lizard home with him. 2 months later it is released because he has changed his mind.

Your record book is a legal document of sorts. Bit like a stat dec: You fill it in then sign and date it.
You cant do that online at the moment.
If you have one snake you fill out one page on your record book. at the top you put 1 carried over and fill in the bottom bits. 1 to carrry over to next book, and fill in your details. I dont belive this situation exists. I knew of a person who only had one reptile once but that was a long time ago. his wife eventually came round.

Good Stuff Peter - I will wake up to myself eventually - one snake is just not enough :) Just like you cant have enough fishing rods :)

Mr Magic - You can just write a letter if you have the same animals but they still issue you with a book that you have to send back

I agree that the licensing should still be done the old fashion way

I think the licencing should be able to be done online. They would still have to process it so it would or could take them a couple of weeks. That would alleviate impulse buying as such.

You could go about this the same way as the banks do. Don't forget that banks require signatures on deposit/withdrawal slips yet they allow online banking. When signing up for online licencing you should have to sign a hard-copy form with all of the terms and rules. The site could also be setup to ask for one or two secret questions + your user id and password before processing any transaction. If it works for the banks, trading millions upon millions per day, I'm sure it would work for 20,000 reptiles :)

I agree reptilemart, if they wanted to do it, it could be done, the technology is there for it. There's also the thought of faxing, gvt dept's don't seem to mind having a fax with a signiature on it and that's not original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back