Chameleons Legal or Illegal in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boa said:
Absolutely, imagine what they would do to your veggie patch...........eventually anyway.

Actually, I was thinking about something more important than a veggie patch. Like extinctions.

Colin said:
whats the point of all the pro and con arguments in these forums anyway

I believe that if I answer the questions, eventually someone might actually understand what I'm trying to say. If that makes sense, then later in life the information may be useful to them.

There are also a lot of people who view this site regularly who are not members of the site, and from overseas. If any of them have similar situations in their countries, my points of view may be of value.

:p

Hix

But your point of view seems to be that EVERY exotic animal is a potential threat and you also seem to think that if anyone is pro exotic they don't understand the potential risks of some species.
I fully understand the possible risks and have always said I am in favour of limited species being allowed to be kept under strict conditions.

Now obviously anyone who is against the idea will put forward the most extreme scenario like a lizard eating a certain insect and causing it's extinction.
I fully respect the opinions of everyone pro or anti, we are just talking about a hypothetical situation that we will probably never see so it should never get serious.

One last thing, no-one who keeps either a cat or a dog can be against exotic reptiles.

To assess species to find out if they are of a threat to the environment would be extremely expensive, and you'd be crazy to think that the government would be handing out the cash so people can keep a few more pets, and there is no way the EPA would fork out with all the present environmental problems at hand.

So, without a risk assessment, unknowns need to be treated with cautiuon, the risk of a chameleom causeing a complete extinction is low, but it could very well put pressure on some environments or animals and possibly cause localised extinctions of some species in some areas if it can become well enough established in those areas, it really isn't that hard at all, and seeing as we don't know for sure, it would be silly just to say, 'nah, I doubt that cute little thing could cause harm'.

Allowing exotics will simply benifit those who want more animals, thats it, it won't nessicarily even stop them being kept illegally, those who aren't legible and those who don't care won't even bother applying for licences and will keep them illegally.

I do enjoy a good discussion! Especially when it doesn't degrade into name calling!

boa said:
But your point of view seems to be that EVERY exotic animal is a potential threat and you also seem to think that if anyone is pro exotic they don't understand the potential risks of some species.

My point of view is that EVERY exotic animal is a potential threat until proved otherwise. And by proof I mean after rigorous scientific study.

AS far as the second part of that statement, I know that you understand the risks, but as I've said - a lot of other people could be reading this, and I like to spell it out for anyone that doesn't understand. The statement that Galapagos Totoises wouldn't be a threat sounds to be a reasonable assumption to the average person, and if left unanswered a lot of people reading this might assume that a nil response means a correct assumption.

I fully understand the possible risks and have always said I am in favour of limited species being allowed to be kept under strict conditions.

I know this, and understand your point of view. Although i choose to disagree, which you also know. But as I said, the people that post are not the only people reading these threads - if you post your view with supporting statements, I'll post my view with either supporting statements, or alternatives to yours. Just so theirs a balance of views.

One last thing, I've never, ever kept a cat or a dog.

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Hix

unless you have a zoo licence...it would be illegal..sorry...

Hix said:
Granted, it would take a while for feral populations to build up, but you can't say categorically that they wouldn't be a threat.

Hix

It would take quite a while for them to get to the front gate if one escaped even. Couldn't help but put that in.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back