is it cruel to keep a snake in captivity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to look at it this way, on the positive side. A snake, bird etc etc that has been captive bred most likely wouldnt know of another life, so it is content in its surroundings. I feel if something is kept in an enclosure then it has to be a reasonable size to suit the size of the specimen - this incorporated with good management & husbandry should show an impact whether it be by growth or breeding. Any species that is breeding in captivity must be content with in its surroundings.

Besides I believe this question really should be directed at any animal or reptiles and not just snakes.

Something to think about though is "I wonder how many species of animals wouldnt be with us today if it wasnt for captive keeping & breeding" I think you will find that captive breeding & keeping has saved many a species from extinction over the past few 100 years. :)

in my opinion it's so simple, if your happy, you eat, you breed, you live,

the answer to your question is so simple, IF ANYBODY THINKS IT'S CRUEL, THEN DON'T OWN ANY, how easier is it then that, i've seen a few snake owners comment here that they think it's cruel, well then let them go into the big kind world and go have a good sleep,

and super you should stick to keeping dollies and teddy bears , from some of your comments you should keep to stuffed animals only,

cheers,
steve.............

If you're intelligent as a human, I agree, you'd be bored silly, but a snake is a very different animal from a human. Snakes are designed by evolution to sit around doing nothing for months on end, and a lot of their natural activities are only carried out by necessity; they certainly don't need recreation or social interaction in the same way people do. There is certainly a limit and in some cases, snakes are kept, as you say, as scaly battery hens, which is arguably cruel. I'm not so sure that snakes appreciate different smells etc. When people take their snakes outside, they often say they 'turn wild', this is often misinterpreted as the snake really enjoying itself, somehow realising it's outside, somehow 'closer to nature and as a response, 'comes alive', but what is actually usually going on, is the snake is terrified out of its mind, which is why it frantically smells everything, becomes hyper alert, rapidly moves around (looking for cover etc) and becomes prone to biting (being out in the open in an unfamiliar environment, it expects it's about to be eaten). As I said earlier, they can't talk and are very bitter creatures, so won't be willing or able to share their thoughts on the matter and we'll probably have to continue speculating, in discussions started by people like 'supertaipan' who are looking for fights

Snakes are very primitive animals, and i agree they probably don't have a huge mental capacity, and i'd even go so far as to say they probably don't have a wide range of emotions :). That said, captive snakes don't have the opportunity to be uncomfortable in captivity in that the average snake sits at optimum temperature and is fed regularly. Although there is no evidence to support it i feel experiencing cold, hunger and feeding on different prey types is gong to stimulate different synapses in their tiny brains and make for a more stimulated snake. Although snakes are opportunist feeders and will eat whenever they can, hunger is probably a good thing as it allows the snakes physiological processes to work properly. When hungry my maculosa get very active, the increase in activity might be good for them, i'm not sure. If you haven't noticed, none of this is hard evidence... it's all my opinion!
I think the snake will end up being a healthy snake regardless but it's more about what the keeper is prepared to provide for the animals in their care.
Put simply, some people are happy keeping a living creature for it's entire existance in a dark 60 x 30 x 15cm box with compressed newspaper pellets for substrate, some people are'nt!

-H

Nephrurus said:
Snakes are very primitive animals, and i agree they probably don't have a huge mental capacity, and i'd even go so far as to say they probably don't have a wide range of emotions :). That said, captive snakes don't have the opportunity to be uncomfortable in captivity in that the average snake sits at optimum temperature and is fed regularly. Although there is no evidence to support it i feel experiencing cold, hunger and feeding on different prey types is gong to stimulate different synapses in their tiny brains and make for a more stimulated snake. Although snakes are opportunist feeders and will eat whenever they can, hunger is probably a good thing as it allows the snakes physiological processes to work properly. When hungry my maculosa get very active, the increase in activity might be good for them, i'm not sure. If you haven't noticed, none of this is hard evidence... it's all my opinion!
I think the snake will end up being a healthy snake regardless but it's more about what the keeper is prepared to provide for the animals in their care.
Put simply, some people are happy keeping a living creature for it's entire existance in a dark 60 x 30 x 15cm box with compressed newspaper pellets for substrate, some people are'nt!

-H

I agree to some extent that giving them a bit of hardship might be good for them, but I'm not really prepared to slice them up to simulate a predator's attack, overheat them to the point where they're close to dying (as would be experienced in situations where the population is too high and individuals are forced to shelter in suboptimal retreats), removing blood with a syringe and introducing toxins to simulate tick attacks, etc etc etc. In all seriousness, a mild version of some of these might actually be beneficial, as you suggest. I think it's definately good to force them to cool below their preferred body temperatures from time to time, especially during winter, and to avoid over feeding. I don't believe there is any problem associated with exclusively feeding one prey species; this is the norm in many natural situations anyway. I'm not happy keeping snakes in a box with pellet substrate, I prefer newspaper.

Cris: no one said they knew snakes didn't experience happiness or emotion. You can't prove this either way, but to assume that without it they'd just sit there and do nothing is absurd. Even bacteria move about, feed and reproduce.... U f'tard.

You all sound to me like you are trying to justify your own selfish reasons for keeping your snakes in less than ideal conditions, to say snakes in captivity are better off than those in the wild is pure madness, otherwise why were snakes created??

Sounds to me like you have no idea what your talking about and aren't even paying attention to the answers your getting because your too stubborn to accept different points of view :)

I keep my snakes in ideal conditions, much more ideal then some of the severly damaged environments that exsist because of people.

Snakes weren't just created, they evolved because there was a neiche available and they were successful :)

Supertaipan said:
You all sound to me like you are trying to justify your own selfish reasons for keeping your snakes in less than ideal conditions, to say snakes in captivity are better off than those in the wild is pure madness, otherwise why were snakes created??

God created them to temp us to be evil.

God also said they are supposed to bruise our heels and we are to bruise their heads. Perhaps being cruel to them makes them unhappy, this is, in an abstract way of thinking, bruising their heads, so it's really just god's will.

Yes, sarcasm, etc etc.

You're either just here to get into fights, or you are very naive. Go out and look at some wild snakes and see how happy they are. When you see something which is covered in scars and ticks, is emaciated and full of worms, is terrified of anything which moves, it's difficult to call it happy. Look at 100 or so wild snakes and you'll see quite that a large percentage are like this, look at 100 captives and you'll clearly see they are on average, much, much healthier and I assume/guess/believe/have the option that they are much happier.

if you think it's wrong or cruel or anything like that don't do it other wise who cares...im thinking at least 60% of the ppl on this site keep snakes and if they think it's wrong maybe they shouldn't be keeping them
as long as your doing right by the snake then go ahead keep what ya want (and allowed)

supertaipan - you have made your position blatantly obvious, you were not asking a question, you were attempting to criticise and belittle members of this REPTILE forum into accepting your opinions on cruelty inflicted on snakes being kept in captivity.
Accept your own opinion, don't buy a snake and force it to live a life of misery, inform the moderators of this forum that you wish for your membership of APS to be deleted and move on.

snakes only bite in defence, if you had a snake you wouold know that even the bitiest snake can be held if it doesnt feel threatend... its not retaliating to being lock up in the cage, i doubt snakes hold grudges

Well i just got back from the pub with my python, we had a great time, though he lost me a bit of money playing dbl's at pool, he then got us thrown out by the bouncers too because he insisted on flicking his tongue at the bar lady. But that's alright cause i really want him to enjoy everything in life that i do, tomorrow we are going to a rock concert which i reckon he'll love, though he is a little tone deaf.

yeah im taking mine to footy with me tommorrow gunna ask coach if he can get a game!

Snow i am sure your coach will let your snake play footy, it'd be cruel not to let him play just cause he can't catch the ball without puncturing it.

true true...he'll be a good backman! no-one will get the ball off of him!ill tell ya how he goes at the game!

Geez mate i might even bring all my snakes to watch the game, it'll be a real treat for them. Afterwards we can all have a few drinks at the footy club, my snakes all love a good booze up.

Cris: no one said they knew snakes didn't experience happiness or emotion. You can't prove this either way, but to assume that without it they'd just sit there and do nothing is absurd. Even bacteria move about, feed and reproduce.... U f'tard.
wow chill out dude, ppl have said that snakes cant be happy or unhappy(tho not said directly in this thread).
I was actually wondering if someone knew, i said what i think might be the case and Im a f'tard

Humans have various chemicals and hormones that are produced to motivate our behaviour, i cant see why it isnt possible to find out if snakes have similar type of motivation.

If there is anyone who knows of any relevant information i would like to know of it, but if u just want to call me a f'tard and add nothing keep it to yourself.

Pitty your in NSW the snakes would love to met up with all the boys! Monty likes nothing better than a scotch wishkey (except his mice)(im not allowed to drink but it'd be cruel not to let him!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back