My Bredli Enclosue Please Comment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic (hopefully lol) of my cupboard i have my bredli in.
- I have a UV fluro at the top.
- A red heat lamp hanging with the probe thermostat under the branch above which the lamp hangs. This is set to about 34deg.
- The top drawer is a hide for her in and out of the top of the drawer set.
- Her water is down the bottom as is another hide
- She cant access the other drawers
- most of the roof has been replaced with perforate aluminium sheet for ventilation and to hang stuff from

Really would like comments as to any changes i should make. The heat light does not go out all that often this time of year is at all. I have a temp probe down the bottom, on the drawers and the top right corner also. THere isnt too much variance in temps either that is have noticed all around 20 is deg.
PICT0001-sml.jpg

Cheers
Chris

I dips my lid to ya.
That is a work of art as well as being very reptile friendly. Youv'e done well mate.

Best regards
Paul

thats a nice enclosure u have there, do you have a pic of the actual snake? thanks for sharing

It's generally much easier to get a good thermal gradient with a cage that's wider rather than too high. Your cage will get very cold at the bottom at this time of year, and if the snake gets too cold down there may lose interest in climbing up to the heated part. Having the top fully perforated will also let too much heat out - you should cover at least most of it so that the heat remains trapped. Just some thoughts.

Wider is better than taller (for the snake), with the heat source/s at one end to give you a good gradient, and unless you're in a very warm part of Oz, it's better to have ventilation in the back or sides of your cages. What looks appealing to you may not work very well for your reptile.

Jamie.

mate, your snake is a yuppie, well done. But please take Jamies comments on board re heating. Also, your UV will only really penetrate about a foot so may be useless past that. I have a similar sized enclosure but I am heating/UV with a 150 watt mercury vapour globe. I am using it for Lizards so I dont need a cover but you defintely would. It is currently heating the enclosure to 28 degrees at the top and 24 at the bottom (right now) plus more under the globe. The enclosure came with a vented top but I had to discard that and it now only has vents low on each side. On 1 January the enclosure was 45 at the top and 35 at the bottom. (Frillies still stayed up the top)

Still a wonderful job though mate. and I agree with height for climbing pythons. (Sorry Jamie - we'll discuss over red)

Yep, I did sound a bit negative there... now that I re-read it. But in principle, what i said was true. And I do agree that climbers do like to get up a bit, as long as you can arrange a good thermal gradient, and if you can do that, it's a great looking unit. I didn't mean to look like I was dumping on you! I have to admit some of my pythons lack an interesting environment at the moment, and could benefit from a bit of environmental stimulation I'm sure!

Cheers, Jamie.

I don't think you were negative at all Jamie. CG asked for comments and you gave them. All marks for offering your help. No sense in telling someone their cage is spectacular when you believe you can make it better for the snake. I merely disagreed with the length versus height thingo for arboreal snakes. Hopefully CG also understands you were merely offering assistance.

All I can say is "I'm Jealous". That is one nice piece of furniture and would look great in my loungeroom (If only my wife would let us have them in the house)

HI Guys

Thanx for all the comments
My girl is about 4-1/2 to 5 ft long i think form last measure. SHe is just over three years old.

All the comments were taking as constructive definitely. All good.

AT the moment i have th eprobe thermostat at the branch below the heat globe. I think i may need a stronger heat lamp during winter as it is rarely off at the moment. I have the thermostat set at around 34 deg. and the temps in the bottom right, on top of the drawers on the left and the top right are at around 20 is give or take 1 or two deg fairly consistantly. I will try putting newspaper over the majority if the air rated roof to see how that goes. Will that work guys ???

still after any comments to help out too

cheers
chris

ps i will get a pic off her up soon.

Hi guys

Thanx for the comments. I have finally a few crappy pics of my girl in her home.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Chris

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

I have the probe thermostat set to about 34C and at the moment the light does not go off. I am going to get a larger wattage globe. The probe can be seen in the second pic just next to the branch under the light. Probably about 15cm or around that away from the heat source.

Cheers
Chris

I now have my eye on the cupboards in the house..... husband is getting veeery worried!!

Great job!!! It's a credit to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back