Morph Vs Locality Pure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basketcase

Reaction score
I know it's been done a few times, but i thought the results a decisive 3 option poll (unlike one of Sdaji's) would be interesting to see.

Don't think about the shades of grey that might make you think too much your decision. EG - When does something become a morph anyway? when it's fluro pink?

Morph, Locality Pure or Both.

Locality pure and morphs aren't mutually exclusive. You can have (and there are many examples of them) locality pure morphs. All individuals of perhaps the country's most well known morph, albino carpets, are still locality pure. Not all morphs are hybrids and most didn't start out through hybridisation.

Wow, two votes and it's just the way it should be, breed both and let others do as they please.

?????????, morhps and locale specific can quite often be the same thing. as sdaji has stated, so youve lost me on this one.?????

6 votes to nil, bet that changes soon...........

cheers,
steve...........

quite often not always.

TrueBlue said:
?????????, morhps and locale specific can quite often be the same thing. as sdaji has stated, so youve lost me on this one.?????

Perhaps I should have phrased it better, or taken more extreme examples from opposite ends of the argument.

Maybe "what do you look for in a herp?" would be better? EG - Would you buy an animal of unknown origins that was slightly more striking than an animal that came with specific locality information? etc etc

My answer to that question is definitely no, if you replace 'slightly' with 'much' then the answer would be yes.

basketcase said:
EG - Would you buy an animal of unknown origins that was slightly more striking than an animal that came with specific locality information? etc etc

You should have put 'hybrids' not 'morphs' bc.

I think I look at appearance first then breeder reputation and price. I would like to start collecting location specific animals too but thats not been an issue for me until recently (after I came on here).

Nothing wrong with morphs, hell, I've seen some great looking anmals that would be considered morphs that are locality pure, you can have both. There are plenty of nice locality pure animals out there to choose from, and they take my preference, but that doesn't mean if I can't be 100% sure of where an animal comes from I'll reject it, I just prefer locality pure animals as they have more meaning to me, and any future breeding will be focused around them. I won't choose animals simply based on locality either, if the animal does not look nice in my opinion, I will not buy it, simple.

Appearance first, I don't consider price necessarily if the animal is what I am after. Locality is an issue if I specifically want a certain animals but otherwise appearance takes precedence.
Dealer reputation is also right up there in the middle somewere.

I tend to look for what is available whilst I am looking and have the money right there.
For example, I bought some great ackies off boa, he was selling pygmy goannas when I was looking for them.

Locality , Locality , Locality . I like the challenge of breeding locality specific morphs . Granted it's a lifetime goal , but this is my hobby . Hybridisation is a natural evolutionary step so I'm not opposed to it . I just don't want any mongrel bastard blood in my line :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back