Another Wild Coastal!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
On the way back from the bottlo a few hours ago i came across a decent sized coastal crossing the road,so i stopped and put on my hazards to stop anyone behind me and let the long but skinny i'm guessing female that laid this season on her way to make it safely across the road and happened to have the camera handy as i was going for a quick 10 minute herp but didn't need to,sorry about the pic quality it does the animal no justice and had some very nice colour on it,cheers and enjoy :p

2006_0126stonejungle0087.jpg

This was right on a main road too where unfortunately i see roadkill too often so i'm glad this one got across the road safely,there aren't even tunnels under the roads for the local wildlife which would surely save quite a few from certain death,something i may write a letter to the council about :idea:

Awesome Browns, your lucky night. Looks really long, i'm guessing close to 9 foot? Hard to guess from the pic though.
Yeah tunnels under roads are a great thing, though i suspect the wildlife often wouldn't use them, it's not like they'd go 10 metres to the right to find the tunnel rather than just go straight over the road??

Actually it was about 7 foot no longer which is about the max the coastals grow to up here and are generally quite solid stocky animals not as skinny as this one and i actually thought it was much longer at first myself but definitely nowhere near 9 foot , don't recall a time i've seen a 9 footer localy but have kept a few good thick set 8 footers when i had no idea there were licences to keep reptiles but apart from scrubbies 8 foot pythons are the biggest i've ever seen and i'm sure Bob W's Proserpines which originate from just up the road from where i took the pic don't get much bigger than 7 foot max and are also stocky thick set carpets.

It would be good to be able to come up with something similar to pit traps so the snakes fall in and have to follow the ditch which would leadt to an underpass so they didn't get splattered and a simple enough idea that should work but i can't see the council forking out to save any snakes it would be taboo :evil:

Looks like a nice python, you can see some nice colour near the tail. I thought it was a bit longer too.
I don't think tunnels would make a huge difference, we need more people like you who stop and don't swerve towards them :evil:

Nice dude. If u didt stop some1 would have run it over..

i think the tunnels do make a difference . the logan motorway which is nott oo far from my place had tunnels put under it for the wildlife and they recorded what animals had used them in just 24 hours and there were a few reptiles and an echidna and a few other things that used them as soon as they were done . they also put big horizontasl logs through them so things like possums ect feel more comfortable using them

thanks
nathan

Nathan, have they also got fences along the Logan? Can't recall if they do, it certainly would make the big difference though, as most animals would be forced to move along the fence(these fences have strips along the tops to prefent animals climbing over). Around Coffs Harbour they use tunnels and fenceing effectivly.

Without fencing I doubt it would be effective.

"brake for snakes"....anyone keen to print some bumper stickers?
as for tunnels I am not convinced, though the carpets near prosy where my brother lives seem to cross roads at particular "snake paths"...the spotteds just curl up on the road and wait for cars at random points... if we all keep educating folk we may see less roadkill

Thats a top idea! Id buy one anyway lol

Still, got to admit its hard to even swerve if you see something on the road at speed, I have accidently hit Possoms, and Pigeons before even trying to brake and swerve, sometimes its not always the drivers fault, but unfortunately sometimes it is..

jack said:
as for tunnels I am not convinced, though the carpets near prosy where my brother lives seem to cross roads at particular "snake paths"...the spotteds just curl up on the road and wait for cars at random points... if we all keep educating folk we may see less roadkill

Something Like this ??

brilliant.... put it on your site and i'll buy a handful next pay, as well as that great cat in the rifle sight t shirt

god this site is still in the gutter in regards to loving animals!!! :| :| :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back