Gammon Ranges Carpet Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone else seen these advertised on SouthernCross?

What are your thoughts?

I quite like the head patterns on the adult but $600 is pushing it IMO, although it seems to be a very rare Sub Sp.

Yeah, I saw that too. Agree it's pretty pricey.

I'd want to look into it a lot further before spending that kind of money.

:p

Hix

If I could afford them, I'd definately buy a pair or trio, expensive, yeah, but this type is very rare, supports a very interesting natural history, look great in my opinion and are pure to their specific geographical origin, to me they'd be quite worth it, alas, my money is needed for building new enclosures right now, so I'll have to wait. But I garrentee you some of those will oneday be in my hands ;)

Yeah I agree, if i had the spare cash I would be interested. Hardly ever see Imbicata for sale let alone these guys. Maybe next season!

Seen em , loved em , want em . Just don't wanna pay for em . Yet . :)

I seriously thought about a pair a week or so ago but decided against them, still not sure it was the right decision though. They do look nice.

Arn't these guys just a different form of Murray Darlings?
And is anyone working at getting this species re-classified as a new sub-species?

people pay $600 for a jungle and its just another carpet. Eye of the beholder and all that.
I like the look of them. You buy a pair and work towards breeding. Your animal has provinance and that has to be worth a bit extra.

Wasn't quite the provenance I would like. Still something to think about though.

:p

Hix

I tried to get a pair a week after they became available - all gone... sob! (I was in Melbourne at the Expo when I was told about them, but I left it too late...) $600 isn't a bad price in my opinion for animals from the first known captive breeding, and an attractive and probably very hardy animal.

Supply & demand I guess, you still pay $1000-$1200 EACH for imbricata from retailers in WA and they can't get enough of them!
Jamie.

Sorry for being lazy, but does anyone have any pics, or at least the scientific name of this species?

Pythoninfinite - Cheapest I have seen young imbricata going for at a retail place was $850. But you are correct, ~$1200ea and they go like hot cakes. Have one myself that I paid a pretty penny for. Lucky sods over east complaining about paying $600 for a rare sub species. Try live in WA!
;)

Alex

Very interested in a scientific name, photo and any history. Like MannyM too lazy tool look.
I have never hard of Gammon Ranges Pythons before, I thought the most northen population of Morelia species in SA was in Tellowie Gorge conservation park. I have never seen any though. Always lots of dragons and monitors in and around the Gammons though.

Hendrix said:
Very interested in a scientific name, photo and any history. Like MannyM too lazy tool look.
I have never hard of Gammon Ranges Pythons before, I thought the most northen population of Morelia species in SA was in Tellowie Gorge conservation park. I have never seen any though. Always lots of dragons and monitors in and around the Gammons though.

Just look for some info on murray darlings.

Gammon Ranges Carpets are distinct from both imbricata and metcalfi. Their population lies between those two subspecies and in my opinion is probably an intermediate that has evolved in isolation for some time. Their population occurs throughout the Flinders Ranges, though they're likely extinct in many locations. I'm also not entirely sure that the northern and southern populations aren't a little bit different to one another.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance that this form could die out during our lifetimes due to habitat degradation and feral predation pressures on juveniles. They're an absolute treasure for anyone who appreciates locality specifics and the uniqueness of a population like this, not to mention the conservation importance of securing this form in captivity. They're not overtly stunning like a good jungle, but I consider them pretty special none-the-less. I certainly snapped up a pair when they became available!

Matt
http://www.users.on.net/~jbonnett/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back