Beautiful shinglebacks!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few updated pics of my shingleback babies having a drink after a meal. They are HUGE. Maybe whiskers is putting steroids in their catfood these days.

Do many people keep shinglebacks? They are the most 'human' reptile I own!

7607694c.jpg

b7b0dd48.jpg

9de3ad6a.jpg

6728680f.jpg

Thought I'd sneak in a couple of shots of a few of my angle headeds, just because they are so cute!
ba55817b.jpg

8c3baa72.jpg

The shingles are looking great...They've bulked up a fair bit.

Nice spinipes too..

LOL!! Get a pair, they're great!

yes, they have bulked up a lot! The two brown and cream animals are so heavy now. The three from the smaller litter have certainly grown a lot, but are much smaller.
They have seperate foodbowls at food time to make sure they all get their fair share, which they like to crawl over so they can spread cat food all over their feeding box.

I'd recommend them to anyone! Cute little beggers!

I love my spinipes too. They are about 5 months old now and are starting to show some really nice colours already.

:0)

They are cute!! I'm not used to that colouring- all the WA Shinglebacks I've seen are different to those ones...:D

The Angles are gorgeous- they look like they have such an attitude and personality!

I have a pair - had them for about 3 years but they are never bred. Probably as I had the female 12 months before I got the male and as they mate for life, their may have been separatedf from their partners.
They are wonderful pets, and love lots of TLC. I would have more if I had the room.
Yours are great looking
Rosemary

Goodmorning :)

Whats involved with keeping shinglebacks - heating? lighting? are they messy? can you keep only one? Apart from catfood, what else do they eat?

Sorry for the questions - just interested :)

Honey :)

Hi honey, yes you can keep just one...........they basically eat the same as blue tongues, fruit, veges, meat, cat food etc. They need a low humidity otherwise they develop lung probs. I havent found ours hard to keep at all............had them in Sydney and then moved to Grafton.
Rosemary

I know plenty of people in Sydney who have had shingles die, I'm having huge ongoing problems with mine constantly getting scale rot, I would never recommend them to anyone who lives on the coast.

I use breeders choice as a subtrate as it keeps humidity down by absorging any moisture in the air, and dont keep them outside, only put them out for and hour or so once or twice a week for some sun
Good luck, Rosemary

So beautiful!! Love those shingles Pike 1. I've already talked to a certain someone about getting some of those beautiful orange WA animals next season!!

Thankfully my herp room is airconditioned in summer 24/7, which takes the humidity out of the air for them. I also feed them and give them access to water
in seperately, rather than putting it in their enclosure, to help keep humidity down.

Thanks again to Dpeica for these beautiful animals. I love them to bits!

I used to use that and thats when the problem started, so now I use newspaper and have a tub of shavings for them to hide under, this problem started three years ago. They are kept heated 24/7 inside (Only one has the problem). The big problem as I see it, is I know heaps are dying on the east coast and are being replaced with wild caught ones as they are easy to find, but how long are they going to be easy to find if they are only bearing 1 - 3 offspring every year or two? Has anyone had long term (10 years or more) success with these in a high humidity area?

Would love to see some of the red WA ones become available here in WA!

Great looking animals.

JasonL said:
The big problem as I see it, is I know heaps are dying on the east coast and are being replaced with wild caught ones as they are easy to find, but how long are they going to be easy to find if they are only bearing 1 - 3 offspring every year or two? Has anyone had long term (10 years or more) success with these in a high humidity area?

Mine are all outside in pits, never had a problem.

Does anyone here keep them in the Brisbane area? Any health problems related to the humidity?

Hey Noxious.
when I supply this colour form they are aways available to W.A buyers. But it seems W.A folk dont appreciate them as much.
Any W.A buyers interested in that colour form please feel free to contact me. I am only too happy to support W.A herp keepers.

I picked up a shingleback on the road at Broken Hill coming home from Exercise Kangaroo 89. We kept him/her in a tank in our office for many many years. This was long before curernt husbandry practices were around. No real artificial heating but the air conditioning would have kept him dry. Gave him a drink once a week. Kept him lean - not too much food. Fed him a raw egg once and he cleared the offce the next day. don't do it. He ended up with an exhibitor near Springwood.

Some people keep them outside in sydney and they survive. Others have failed due to respirotory problems. It depends on the area.

My only concern with Saz's bulking up is that they are just getting too much. Vegies should be 90% of their diet. They dont get to catch too much meat in Broken Hill. We're not Greeks Saz. :) a 130kg human may look nice and bulked up to their keeper but we would see differently.

sorry, not trying to put a dampener on your beautiful lizards, but hey, we all need to cut down on the maccas now don't we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back