Feeding wild caught fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

I'm pretty sure fish would be exempt from taking from the wild wiith out a permit
only if you torture them as a lure for fish, i just worked out another story(for qld laws) i was using them as lure to catch fish but they didnt work so i let my turtle kill them as quick as possible :? now thats one for the lawyers :shock: :cry:
this crap is really bad why do i bother with the law?
according to our laws a lung fish could be used as live bait :? Its a fish therefore and under the exemption its worthy to be used as bait. Destroy their habitat and allow them to be used as live bait thats our government plan for the lungfish :x :(

I brought up the laws regarding exotic fish on another site, in Qld its highly illegal to move them anywhere dead or alive, unless you want to bs.

You must only use native fish as bait as said under qld law :evil: even the apparently endangered purple spotted gudgeon is on the taking for bait but use a gambusia from the same location and your srewd.

I reckon there should be an entire forum for me to bitch about the laws :lol:

sorry for my dunkard ramblings :D

Cris, if you were to use a lungfish a bait, dead or alive you'd be in deep sh!t. In general fish are exempt, but if the fish comes under another listing such as endangered or vunerable, than it is treated as such, and is a protected species, which is why you can't legally catch Honey Blue Eyes, even for aquarium specimens.

Moving back to lungfish, as I recall if you even catch one it must be immediately put back, under no circumstances can you keep one, use it as bait etc, infact only one facilities has even been given a permit to keep and breed these animals to allow them into the pet trade legally. And with a price tag of $1,500 for a captive bred fish, you'd want to be well off.

ok thanks for all the reply's, im not sure what kind of fish i have, i had some rainbows, my mate took some purple spotted gudgon well thats what he called them and also some mouth almighty's but they were just for his tank, i didnt take them, but i do have around a 15cm cat fich that i want to put in my tank just as diplay because turtle and file snake too small to eat it

Moving back to lungfish, as I recall if you even catch one it must be immediately put back, under no circumstances can you keep one, use it as bait etc, infact only one facilities has even been given a permit to keep and breed these animals to allow them into the pet trade legally. And with a price tag of $1,500 for a captive bred fish, you'd want to be well off.
Yes it may be expensive bait but legal none the less(i often include really stupid examples when ive had a few) but its perfectly ok as far as the law goes isnt it :?

Ummm, yes it is

So Nagraj, how does the RSPCA look upon allowing an animal in your care to starve to death? I would of asumed this was a crime.

If what you say is true, does that make all file snake owners outside NT at risk of jail? Since they only eat live fish, and feeding live fish is a jailable offence should we get the list of owners and a paddy wagon and round them up?

As ive stated in other wacky rants i support animal rights, but at then end of the day big things eat little things.....thats life. If the RSPCA tries to tell you its illigal and a jailable offence then they are lying or incompetent. Or both.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

fishbot said:
So Nagraj, how does the RSPCA look upon allowing an animal in your care to starve to death?

I have no idea and you would have to ask them but I don't know why you would as they are largely irrelevant regarding animal welfare, at least in the NT. All they do is operate a dog and cat shelter.

Animal welfare is the jurisdiction of state govts and their appointees may or may not be RSPCA.

fishbot said:
I would of asumed this was a crime.

That would certainly be a crime.

fishbot said:
... If the RSPCA tries to tell you its illigal and a jailable offence then they are lying or incompetent. Or both.

I have linked to the legislation which covers this issue in other threads and clearly demonstrated that it's an offence but you suit yourself.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

cris said:
Yes it may be expensive bait but legal none the less(i often include really stupid examples when ive had a few) but its perfectly ok as far as the law goes isnt it :?

Not legal at all, highly illegal, you have to put a lungfish back in the water immediately if caught, and youd be in deep sh!t if you used one as bait live or dead, they are a protected species, whether they're a fish or not is not important, they are protected under law.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

get a fish licence lol do u have a pic of the fish u hhave caught to feed to your snakes

nope dont have any pics but i know i have 2 cat fish but i dont know what kind, i used to have those ele (never spelt ele before???? :? ) tail cat fish, they not them

"eel" :wink:

Be careful feeding eel tailed catfish to things because they have a poisous barb in the dorsal fin.

Dicco, i was talking crap before, but it is legal to use a lungfish you hold legally as bait, as the exemption covers this behaviour, it would obviously never happen, but its legal. A stupid point on my behalf but oh well, sorry ppl :oops:

Fishbot most states have laws against feeding live fish to anything that WONT eat dead food, Its state law not the work of the RSPCA (Real Sickos Prentending to Care for Animals) Took me ages to work out a non offensive meaning that matched them :lol:

yeh i dont feed eel tails i was saying that what i dont have and dont know what these new cat fish are

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

africancichlidau said:
I'm pretty sure fish would be exempt from taking from the wild wiith out a permit. It is only of you try and sell them that you will run into problems.

Wrong.

I'm only talking about the NT and yes i'm right. The only way you would get into trouble is if you kept an undersize barra (they are the only fish that has a minimum size in NT) or if you kept over your bage limit of fish, and i do not recall there being one for miscelanious bait fish like mullet and rainbow fish and mouth almighties.

And in the NT the only time you need a permit is if you are fishing for proffesional purposes ie. selling your catch or if you are fishing on land that is subject to native title.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Feeding wild caught fish?

Has anyone ever fed fish to lizards like shinglebacks, bluetongues, beardies etc. Obviously the occasional fish would be alright for water dragons which no doubt come across a washed up dead one every now and then. but I've never tried fish with my pit lizards, what do you guys think?

I feed my beardie swordtails sometimes and often to my water dragons.
Occasionally my some of my pythons get a fish or two as well.
I think it only causes problems if it the main food source.
This link has some interesting info....
http://www.smuggled.com/FisFee1.htm

Great article, it covers everything thanks cris.

re Feeding

Yes aussielovemaker feed wild fish,i feed my tortoise live gambusia,all good if your lucky to get some,freezing is a good idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back