rat drinkers sticking any ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rest of my bottles are an assortment of brands, but he best one was a no-name brand (just the nipple only) I got from the Reptile Barn

Unfortunately the Reptile Barn is closed down & the supplier no longer stocks them. I've already tried to obtain more from them :oops:

Does anyone use those little stainless steel nipples for gravid fed lines?

Earthling said:
Do you guys sell just the nipple or tube without the bottle? and if so how much?

The rodent breeding stuff is on the bottom of the food page at http://www.herpshop.com.au/

The bottle with the bung and tube is $6 or $7 each. Brian does not sell them separately to my knowledge but even though I use larger (cranberry juice) bottles I still make use of the bottles that came with them. You always seem to need more bottles than bungs... just like with the rodent breeding tubs you use more of the tubs than the wire tops because they need cleaning less often.

p.s. I would go for the larger bottles. The little ones would be good for a pair or trio of mice but even in his situation with the larger ones they should last a week before needing refill.

Cool. thanks all. Whats the go with stainless steel nipples with gravity fed lines? Sounds very interesting. I just did a bit of research and..........................................Glimmerman any idea where to buy those nipples? Found this site and a self watering system such as this website describes seems like a lot better system in the long run. http://www.agselect.com/ED/Features.cfm?DID=11&TID=14

Ask Gregory about those stainless steel nipples. He uses them with a gravity fed system. Form memory they are really cheap .. like $2.50 per nipple

sounds like the problem is with the bottle.If the bottle is too soft as the water goes out the sides suck in, then when they pop bach out it sucks the ball back.Use a gaterade bottle or a proper drinking bottle.

Thanks for the tips....i'm finding them a hassle as well; wasnt a problem; until the wife went on holidays.....now it's a real problem :)

We have some 360 degree drinker nipples left over from our Rodent Ranching days. All brand new and imported from the USA. Unchewable by rats and mice. For use in a gravity feed system. Approximately 3 dozen. $3 each. Cheers Cheryl

Yes, do not use soft sided bottles like soft drink bottles.
They need to be rigid, sherry flagons work well ;)

rats

Here is my newest creation to 'hopefully' stop rat drinkers from sticking and rats dieing from thirst. Bought some rat drinker nipples from Cheryl at $3 each(AKA RodentRancher) and a $12 watering system from Bunnings and an old 20L Soap tub from the tipshop for $2 dollars. A bit of drilling and cutting and joining and hey presto a gravity fed rat drinking system. Rats are drinking and all is good in the world of Rat Land. I wont have to top up my drinkers as often (should get at least 3 to 4 weeks out of 1 filling, and these nipples look fantastic at not sticking like those ****y 'PetOne' drinkers do. Good quality USA Nipples, not Chinese poo. All good. Thanks Cheryl.

RE: rats

Hey earthling, if you can get hold of an old toilet cistern float filler, or one out of an evaporative aircon, you can make your filler tub self filling.

Yeah was thinking about that Maggie. Or even hook straight up to a water tap and have no tub or float at all. Or is there a reason why people dont do that? After all if you get a leak with a float or not its going to keep on leaking yeah? Or is it because of water pressure? Couldnt you just turn the tap down? I thought i would leave it as it is for now and see how things work and when i get bigger perhaps do something then..

Well atleast if the hose cracks you will only loose 20 litres not 100s. I would personally leave it the way it is. Looks good.

Re: RE: rats

Earthling said:
Or even hook straight up to a water tap and have no tub or float at all. Or is there a reason why people dont do that? Or is it because of water pressure? .

You cant use it hooked up to mains water pressure poor little rats would never get a drink, The water pressure would keep the ball firmly seated even with the tap just turned on.

The idea of using a header tank with a float valve (toilet cistern) is the best setup.

Cheers shiner :D

RE: Re: RE: rats

The idea of using a header tank with a float valve (toilet cistern) is the best setup.

Cheers shiner

That's how I had mine set up, with the hose on just enough so that water dripped out slowly, or you can just briefly turn the tap on each day / every few days to top up the header tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back