Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
id like to add acouple of blondes,, brunettes,, couple of good cooks,, sum that dont argue,,,, & a **** load of $$$$$$$ to keep them all happy :)

i wish

& now i've seen them,,, sum of them jags there nice

Boa, those pythons look spectacular!
Is 'Jag' a colour-specific morph, or can you theoretically get it in any sp.?
Is there a list anywhere of colouration mutation terms, and what they actually mean?
I thought I was clever because I know what a 'hypo' is :oops:

I'm about done for this season ( maybe ) . I've got a hold a pair of yellow Jungles , I'll be trying to track down a red hypo bredl & Hoping to nab a couple of Ochre BHPs . Oh & maybe a grey snake cos there endangered in my area .

The wish list would be a couple of GTPs & fingers crossed for a blue one .

Wow, I thought this thread would last for about 6 posts. I was bored after the soccer and thought I would throw something up. It is very interesting that it ended up as a post on morphs. It is interesting because that is exactly what I DONT want in my collection. No hypos, no albinos, no jags, no hybrids (not a dig, I just want to admire our wildlife) I just want pure natural animals. And that is why I have been happy to buy wild caught BHP's. Because unless there is a BHP holiday resort in the Pilbara I can be very confident of the origin of my BHP's. I have done similar with my Serpenttongue (2 "T"'s again Nick) Wongawilli Diamonds. I know I will initially fail with the GTP's but one day I might see some real ones around.

Now, as for how and when. I only mention this so that I might give some ideas to others. I have decided to get 2 hatchling pairs each year. That way I need 4 hatchie tubs. Easy. I move them to my new bank of 500x400x400 cages as yearlings and then buy 2 more hatchie pairs. In another year I move the yearlings to 2x2x2's. I have already built two of them (posted pics in another thread) so I need to build 2 more before my Diamonds are 2 years old. Then a year later they go into their adult cages (outside for Diamonds). So, this year its Diamonds and Darwins (anyone got any for sale - high red please). Next year Jungles and BHP's (hopefully babies of our own BHP's). And then GTP's and Womas at the start of 2009.

I am not stressed about breeding them. I want to but only for the satisfaction. I have no interest in making money out of my hobby. If they breed I will sell them to quality dealers like Sydney Reptile Centre (see who can work this out) at big discounts so they can sell them at realistic prices and still make a profit.

Thoughts?

In truth?
I'd like some Boyds, some more Nephrurus geckos, and maybe a couple more goannas.

well then as a wish list

id like like 2 bredli (not hypo)
and 2 olives
1 or 2 black and white er jungles if i can find em
thatll keep me happy

I like your thinking Peter

i rekon your on a good track buying 2 hatchling pairs each year and slowly moving them up through the cages gives you time with all the animals without well i guess you could say rushing it all
also a more relaxed way of doing it

and i understand you wanting to admire our wildlife it is truely amazing some of the animals and even plants we have here

also i think its good that your not interested in breeding them and if they do breed your not exactly after a profit from the hatchlings (if my pythons ever breed i doubt i could sell the hatchies for much)

Yep, I agree Pete, looks like a plan to me. Make enough to cover your costs and all will be sweet. Just enough choice animals to be able to look after them really well.

Jamie (still not bored...)

Oh, and now I just added Boyds. Forgot about them.

Glad I didn't bore you too much Jamie. Might make a good chit chat thread one Saturday night.

peter i think your plan is great
you've obviously put a lot of thought into it.
i like making long term plans just like that
instead of just rushing in and not being set up properly.
which i see quite a bit.

cheers

My next additions will be more Darwins and Athertons.

After that:
Maybe..
SA Womas
Blackheads
Olives

And some geckos and dragons further down the line.

A few pics for you Pete, My young Darwin Males are just starting to show some colour, ****e pics but you get the basic idea.
From what pictures of seen of other animals from this line they tend to be darker along the spine, so maybe not the "high" red your looking for.

Do you have any pics of examples of high red Darwins?

Partrial reduced latteral patterned male, Odin. Born November 05
100_0609.jpg

100_0619.jpg

Another Male
100_0618.jpg

100_0616.jpg

Matt

daveyg1 said:
i like making long term plans .....
instead of just rushing in and not being set up properly

Thats exactly why I have done this Dave. My collection was too spontaneous. I would see a nice enclosure or some animals I liked and then just buy them. I ended up with a lot of animals but not what I would term a "collection". So the intergrades have gone, the shingleback and sole male frilly have gone. The blueys will go later this year. Then I can start building the right enclosures and buying the right animals.

And thanks for the photos Matt. I actually like the red/orange in some Darwins. I just wanted to know that they can keep their colour as adults. If they can't then I will change to something else. Like Bredli. The ones at URS seem to have red in them but it may be a case of computer screens and/or good lighting that makes them appear red.

oh, and my son also told me he wants a childrens python so I might get a pair of them as well.

peterjohnson64 said:
If they breed I will sell them to quality dealers like Sydney Reptile Centre (see who can work this out) at big discounts so they can sell them at realistic prices and still make a profit.

Thoughts?

I think you have thought about it quite realistically. Good on you.

1 thing though. Why sell them to a dealer? Why don't you just sell them at a discounted price yourself? If you only want $500 for your BHP's, sell them for that. If you sell them to a dealer for $500, they will add there profit and the animal will still be sold at almost if not at, market price. You would have just defeated your own good will ( and that would be a shame.)

JMO

Yes mate I understand what you are saying. However, I like to see businesses thrive. I make a reasonable living as an accountant and if I start selling herps at cheap prices in competition to dealers then I afffect their business. They don't do tax returns on the side to supplement their herp businesses. I dont like seeing flower sellers on the side of the road on mothers day destroying the business of the florists who pay huge rents and break even all year except for 3 days. To me its the same thing. It costs well over $100k just to keep the shop doors open. If we don't allow them to make some profit then our hobby won't thrive. Plus they'll cut corners to the detriment of the animals in their care.

It also means I dont have to advertise. I dont have to let people know what I have. No one comes to my house etc. Plus if I am good to the dealer I might be able to influence what they do. E.g. if you don't look after the animals properly then you can go and pay full proce from someone else.

Sounds good Pete, what are the dimensions of your herp room to be? just interested.

shiner

the room is 4 metre x 4 metres but it has a spiral staircase in one corner to go down to my cellar. The window will go above the staircase so I dont lose any wall space. On the oppiste wall will be the doorway so again I lose about 900mm. On one wall I will have 3 banks of 4 foot long enclosures (9 cages). The opposite wall will have a 6 foot bank and a 4 foot bank (6 enclosures). Each bank will have a 2 foot high bottom cage, another 2 footer above that and a 4 footer on top. We have 9 foot ceilings so I can fit that height in. Howevr, if you noted what was going into my collection you will see that I only need 12 enclosures. So I can actually make some of the bottom enclosures be hatchie banks.

As for the banks I will be using my Griffith mate. I will make a base on wheels. Each cage in the bank will be separate so they can be moved easy and even swapped around. I will mrely stack 3 cages on top of a base. Simple really.

I was also going to set my light circuit on a daylight sensor so that the cages are automatically daylight cycled. I was also considering air conditioning the room and then using lower wattage basking lights. I just need to look at loads to determine the most cost effective way. I could also run the A/C on the daylight timer so it only heated during the day.

I won't put any floor coverings in other than vinyl as I find that banks on wheels are hard to move on either tiles or carpet.

yeah pete i done the exact same thing
only now am i starting to plan the cages i want and
building them before i buy more herps.
being more organised definitely makes it even more enjoyable as well

davey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back