Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a fairly spontaneous buyer up until now, I've had to cut back a bit so when I get back into it I'll plan like you are. It also makes it more enjoyable because you have someting to look forward to, and are well prepared. I'm getting some gillens in a few weeks but after that I'll stop buying on impulse :D
Pete let me know when you're selling you're bluetongues :wink:

Very good valid points there Pete. I see where you're coming from. Being in the business eye most of the time I see you are looking at it from another angle than I was.

I am also building my banks as stackable seperate enclosures. I think it makes it easier to make any mods, replacements or rearrangments in the future.

if i had the room and cash would buy one of them aquaculture tanks, you can get nice 1000L oval ones. build a little island with some bricks and tiles and have some nice turtles. the little ones espansa breeds would be cool.

also what about bredli! ya gotta have a pair of bredli :p

andrew

peterjohnson64 said:
If I cant find the colour Darwins I want then I'll go Bredli

You will find what your look for, how about you just make them one of the lst pairs you get, that way you will have alot longer to find some how is breeding Darwins that are to your taste.

Dont give up on the Darwins!! :lol:

Matt

peterjohnson64 said:
I was also considering air conditioning the room and then using lower wattage basking lights. I just need to look at loads to determine the most cost effective way. I could also run the A/C on the daylight timer so it only heated during the day.

Another method of heating the room you could consider is under floor heating

Under wood or laminate

http://www.radiantfloorheating.com.au/carbon_heating.htm

Thinset / screed concrete

http://www.devi.com.au/photosMat1.htm

shiner

Looks good shiner. how does the cost compare to reverse cycle A/C? installation & running costs.

peterjohnson64 said:
Looks good shiner. how does the cost compare to reverse cycle A/C? installation & running costs.

Installation would depend on the particular application ( getting a quote is a good idea)

Cost ( cut n paste ) http://www.radiantfloorheating.com.au/running_costs.htm

Example

So for a 150sqm building heated for a 3 month winter (90 days x 8 hours per day = 720 hours) x 42 watts per sqm per hour - the annual consumption would be 150 sqm x 720 hours x 42 watts = approx 3024 kwh. If the price of a kwh is for example 13 cents then the cost would be $0.13 x 3024 = approx $393 per year!

Note the figures given above are for demonstration purposes, but in our opinion are representative of the typical cost of heating an average sized home in WA, NSW, VIC, SA.

The following tables has been taken from the WA sustainable development office & estimates based on a 60sqm area in WA the annual running costs for an 'on-demand' electric floor heating system would be between $140-$160 whilst for the 150sqm area the cost increases to $350 - $390

The off-peak costs however are much lower at $75 for a 60sqm area & $175 per year based on 150sqm

Whilst these figures may be slightly higher than some of the other forms of heating, the decision about heating systems should not base on running costs alone.

Underfloor heating requires no servicing or maintenance & is controlled digitally by electronic thermostats with timers. Underfloor heating is also considered by many experts to be the most ideal form of heating available for the human body!

Hope this helps

Edited for better information

Now I have realised that when the blueys go I will actually have two aviaries available. so do I 1) put the diamonds in an aviary each, 2) get another pair of diamonds or 3 get somethign else to put in there. And if it is "3" what is a good thing to keep outside in Sydney that doesn't require artificial heating. I.e. Murray Darlings?

These are the 2 aviaries

How about you put your Lacy in there as your 3rd option, Pete. Bells can be kept outside in Sydney.

Nah...get another pair of diamonds :D

Where's your blueys going Pete, are you getting rid of them? Cant you stick them in with the Water Dragons?

Hi Mate, the lacies are getting a custom built super dooper 7m x 4m pit with attached indoor hide in my shed. They will probably go in to the high aviary for next summer and then in to the pit the following year when they are big enough to enjoy the company of the local cats. As for the blueys, I will see if I get a couple of clutches this year and then just sell them as a job lot. They could go in with the water dragons but then I have to feed them. I really like the self sustaining style of my dragon enclosure.

Oh, and if its two pair of diamonds mate, can we talk??? I'm two short :(

Well all I want is a Lace monitor as a pet but ahh that will not happen for a while So in the meantime ill just get a couple more Diamonds and maybe some more Acanthurus :D

Did I mention I was looking for another preferibly high yellow,possibly Gosford form and female? :) Hint Hint

Sorry mate. I love ugly diamonds. high black as opposed to high yellow. As I mentioned I am aiming for locality specific animals and I am sticking to wollongong diamonds so no high yellows here. But I have been watching a thread where HPH is selling some lovely ones quite cheap. I have also noticed a herp trader add for an intergrade that looks like she is from Port Macquarie to me.

Thank You for that :) I did put a wanted add on the site but did not get much of a reply to it.I think it depends who takes a look.So I thought I would be cheeky and drop a hint.I like the Wollongong Diamonds but I have a Gosford male and my female is blind and also from Wollongong.

Thanks for your help Kylie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back