The $24 000 girl when she was a red baby!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No red babies have been confirmed found in the Oz GTP habitat
Have red babies been found in the wild Jamie?I certainly wasn't aware of that, where did that info come from?

There is some research which I believe is continuing in Australia where the researcher was asking around the forums to try and discover if there were any maroon baby chondros ever in Australia. I don't think he got much of a response for obvious reasons but the discussion at the time led me to believe that there wern't any despite some of the over seas subspecies of chondros being prevalent in Australia.

If you are interested in chondro morphology take advantage of this month's Herp Shop special. Maxwell's book goes into great detail in this area.

I was probably not clear in what I wrote Splitmore - I meant to say that as yet no red babies have been found, or confirmed found, on Cape York to date, and there has been a fair bit of work done on them in recent years. Also, there are no documented red babies from the few reported breedings of Oz GTPs.

The animals that Tim has from Graeme Gow were originally from Joe Bredl, and are now about 15 years old as far as I recall. I had some communication with Dave Barker to help Graeme before he died, to try and ascertain the breeding potential of these older snakes, and he indicated that they were still very likely to breed if given the right conditions - he knows of several much older GTPs in the US which still produce in their twenties. The biggest problem with older animals is obesity he suggests - they are so inactive that all they do is sit around and digest food and accumulate fat.
They certainly don't set any records for the 100m dash...

Jamie

i will say this again
in 1998 i saw a red/orange/maroon or whatever colour you want to call it.
a wild caught one owned by a lady in QLD.
it was about 50cms long.

There are a few anecdotal stories of red GTP babies in wild Oz animals, but until they are confirmed & the data published, that's what they remain... anecdotal stories. I certainly have no reason to doubt you Thor 1, so please don't think I do, but "confirmation" is the important word here - the scientific world relies on it. And of course if red babies come up in animals caught illegally and bred illegaly, who's going to poke their head out of the bunker and announce it to the world? Did your friend with the red baby hold it legally?

Jamie.

There are a few anecdotal stories of red GTP babies in wild Oz animals, but until they are confirmed & the data published, that's what they remain... anecdotal stories. I certainly have no reason to doubt you Thor 1, so please don't think I do, but "confirmation" is the important word here - the scientific world relies on it. And of course if red babies come up in animals caught illegally and bred illegaly, who's going to poke their head out of the bunker and announce it to the world? Did your friend with the red baby hold it legally?

Jamie.

i totally understand where you are coming from.
the lady did not have a license.
so it was illegal but i believe her that she found it herself.
she was too much of a loner to realistically get it from anyone else
IMO
i will see if i can find out more about it and maybe see if i can talk to her .

Before anyone goes tracking me down and staking out my house trying to figure out the best way to bust in, I'd just like to repeat that these are NOT MY SNAKES. I have seen the 24k girl, and covert her, but these are not my snakes.

Cheers :D

Any strange cars parked down the road Lily? Men in balaclavas carrying pillowcases hanging around? Keep your eyes open...

J. 8)

I will back Lily up there. And they are not mine either. But for those super sleuths out there. Think 1973 St George half backs.....

Oops, I'd better start parking around the corner :twisted:

Thanks for the tips and the back-up guys. Rennie, I can see you out there hiding behind the tree! What was it you were after? One of my Oops hybrids, my cranky coastal who tried to eat me, or my sweet little funny-faced diamond?

Also, the cheeky monkeys who stole the fruit... I have it confirmed they ARE canary chondros.

re The $24 000

Dont matter if it were red it isnt now,the yellow ones dont look nice to me ide like a lime green one like that on Australian snakes a natural history by Rick Shine think those photos are from steve wilson.Thats the color ide like if i paid big money for one,some of the ones going around look an ordinary type green,rather by two of off Roy Pails which are eating well and have undergone color change than one and ide have 6K left over,overpriced,sure is in IMO

Re: re The $24 000

zulu said:
ide like a lime green one like that on Australian snakes a natural history by Rick Shine

Yeah that Chondro looks good. I've always liked that pic. Dont know about the skin worm type bumps under the skin on that specimen though.

RE: Re: re The $24 000

have it confirmed they ARE canary chondros.
And are these in the same persons collection? Interesting that they have only been 'discovered' in the last few years would be great to know how they got a hold of them!

RE: Re: re The $24 000

Now that we agree on. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back