CO2 CHAMBER FOR RATS.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleRob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with making a CO2 chamber for killing rats? Pics or information on what to do/use will be appreciated.

If this has been discussed before please point me in the direction of the thread.

Thanks,

You really don't need anything elaborate, I use a big round barrel with a screw on lid that has a rubber seal on it, the gas gets pumped in at the bottom as it is heavier than air.

I tried making one out of a 50lt storage tub but it held to much oxygen so now i just use a bag, put the rats in with the hose which the co2 comes out of and force the oxygen out and let it fill up with the co2

Yeah lots of people do it with a strong plastic bag.

A 50ltr tub with a good sealing lid is an effective chamber.
Attach the hose from the lower side of the tub. I found the straight black plastic taps work well. Screw the tap into the base of the tub. Attach the hose to the tap. Insert Co2 for approx 10-15 secs. Turn gas and tap off. Wal-ah. Sleepy bye byes.

If all else fails ...... follow moosies instructions 8)

Re: RE: CO2 CHAMBER FOR RATS.

Tsidasa said:

Believe it or not it is much more humane than feeding live or thwocking them over the head with something. They feel absolutely nothing and just go to sleep and then die.

IMO

RE: Re: RE: CO2 CHAMBER FOR RATS.

I read that a rodent keeper in the USA tried out the c02 method by sticking his face into a tank filled with co2 and he reported that "he had a burning feeling on his face" but i wouldn't take that as solid proof

Just thought i would add that

RE: Re: RE: CO2 CHAMBER FOR RATS.

Well, I know it was a silly thing to do, I put my head into a drink cooler full of dry ice and took a good few deep breaths in, all that i felt was a little dizzy and short of breath.

There is some evidence that CO2 gas irritates the eyes and mucous membranes of the rodents if they're exposed to high concentrations before they become unconscious. I usually just pump in a bit to start with, and leave them a couple of minutes until they are clearly unconscious, then the killer dose when they're asleep. Doesn't take more than a couple of minutes more, and may be more humane.

Cheers, Jamie.

PMSL!!! Some really funny responses and helpful ones too. Thanks everyone, I have a fairly good idea of the principle now and will be making one soon.

Got my first warning at work on Monday for clocking up 48MB usage on APS in a week....Haha!!! :lol:

I made and acrylic chamber 300mm X 300mm x 200mm. 2 main gas inlets and mesh raised floor to keep them clean. One way valve on the lid.

I killed my first rodent with co2 last night (The rat was sick).
It was easier then expected and died within a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back