Mercury Vapour Applications

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A number of people have PM'd me about using mercury vapour globes so rather than replying to each one I thought I would just put up a post.

I currently have my frillies and young lace monitor using mercury vapours. I had one in the Bells cage in a normal flood light fitting but it kept turning itself off because it got too hot. I have just got a new fitting from the herp shop and will be fitting a mercury vapour with the Bells this weekend as well.

Basically, I only recommend the ceramic fittings as these allow the globes to stay on.

The little lacie cage is 5 foot long and about 1.5 foot high & 1 foot deep. With a 100 watt globe it only heats one end to about 30 degrees. Please note the ventilation behind the light. The frilly cage needs an extra ceramic globe to assist it during winter.

can i use 1 insted of a uv fluro?

Peter,

Tests have shown that the 100 watt Mercury bulbs do not throw out the UV as much as we are led to believe. They are not much better than a fluro tube, however they are still better in as much as they also heat and are cheaper.

The 160 watt bulbs are far better, throwing out the uv far further. Looking at your Frilly setup I would suggest changing to a 160watt bulb. The Frilly will get a far greater benifit.

The Frillies do have a 160 watter mate. sorry, I should have mentioned that. and the lacie could probably handle it as well.

Hi Peter this is not really sticking to the point so please forgive me....I was just wondering if any Herps answer the phone for you?.. :D

Hey ST, they are real vines of the rainforest type and they came with the enclosure so I have no idea of source. And Kylie, yes, the lacie does answer the phone. So if you ring and it answers but there isn't anyone speaking you will know why.

could you use one on a pygmy beardey if so what wattage?

Wouldn't buy any other. We use merc's on all our diamonds, wouldn't buy from anyone else then Herpshop. Been using them for so long now with good results, so why change i say??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back