Rats eating Babies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard they eat them because they might not have alot of acces to food or water (meaning check there food and water often and make sure they have alot of each) and they will eat some to keep population down so there is more food for the rats when they grow up.

or there could be a problem with a baby that we dont know about

ive heard that can be another reason for them eating there young

Nervous first time mothers might do it to I've been told.

Also grumpy older girl rats will do it if they're in the same enclosure...or so I'm told.

If the rat is put under stress after it has given birth, or sometimes if it has been stressed very near the birthing time, they will eat their babies, or some of them.

this is good as i just noticed my rats have given birth sometime today

so a quick question can you feed them straight away to your snakes or do they have to develope more?
as i want to try and get mine onto rats (the whole reason i bought the rats :wink: )

It's very often dietary - not enough protein in the diet. Do you feed them a good quality rodent pellet? And are they subjected to a sressful environment? That can cause problems too.

By the way Jeramie, why the rush to get your animals onto rats? There is actually much more calcium and other nutrients in an adult mouse than an underdeveloped rat, and the fur on a mouse is far better for the digestive system of your snake.

Jamie.

Why do rats eat their babies
because they are so tender and juicy.

I would agree that its most likely a lack of protein in the diet or possibly not having food available at all.

Other than than that if the rats are in a good environment with a good diet and most dont eat their babies, it could be a pscho rat. If this is the case 'donk' it and get a new one.

By the way Jeramie, why the rush to get your animals onto rats? There is actually much more calcium and other nutrients in an adult mouse than an underdeveloped rat, and the fur on a mouse is far better for the digestive system of your snake.
I like to feed my animals on rats because mice really stink. Apart from newly hatched anteresia's pythons can easily handle new born pinky rats.

Well 2 where my fiends rats so i don't know. Mine was in a bath tub in a garage and then moved befores she had her babies
I personally wouldnt move a mother to a new place before she gives birth this could be causing the stress. Rats are best left together all the time IMO they all help each other out and its much less stressful on the mother.

Pythoninfinite said:

Jamie.

main reason being is i have 4 snakes

2 are already on rats they were when i bought them so instead of breeding rats and mice for both pairs id rather just breed rats for all of them

best off giving them something with fur so wait till rats get some fur on them as its better than some squishy pink thing with not alot of great things in it for the snake.

i have 250 females and don't have any problem with the babies being eaten. it may be the diet. i have found that by not feeding any meat or meat by products [ dog bits] that my females can rear litters up to 15. i cull pinkies early 4-5 days and fuzzies 10 days that my breeders are not under stressand can therefore produce larger litters for longer.
barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back