Mase's conspiracy theory

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mase

Reaction score
hey guys one cant help but wonder if a reptile black market exists. cummon lets be realistic, people are able to smuggle drugs from foreign countries into australia. Does any one have any knowlege of such events? My theory is that there is an existance of exotic reptiles within the hands of a minority. what do you guys think ...

RE: Mase

i think every ones gunna hide the truth .. ah it was just a thread

RE: Re: RE: Mase

are the consequences that high ?

try losing all animals, even australian ones.

criminal records
jail time
massive fines
never being allowed to keep animals ever again

and this is just scraping the surface

if i had known i wouldn't of asked such a stupid question in that case

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Mase

are the consequences that high ?
well for most of us yes, for ppl who dont care about our environment or law the consequences are unlikely to be an issue.
Like i have said before there are always going to be ppl who can get you "anything".
I personally think almost anyone could get their hands on illegal animals, illegal drugs, illegal firearms, illegal ppl etc. if they really wanted to.
I know someone who can hook you up with exotic herps, but they only have axlotls at the moment :lol:

Is there a black market for aussie herps in australia?

I've always been interested in this sorta thing. Highly organised, illegal activities have existed in almost every culture on the planet like a social undercurrent. Drugs, counterfeiting, smuggling..
In terms of exotic herps, from what i have heard and read, try asking any biker friends you might have, or drug dealers or the lebanese gangs as they always have "friends who might know a friend, who might know a friend.." who can sort you out.
Bear in mind that these guys would be too intelligent to organise an "event" as the chances of getting busted with a whole bunch of herps is pretty high and the penalties would be far more severe than getting busted making a swap for a single reptile at a neutral location.
Have also read that you can ask dodgy, smaller, pet shops. If you have a large network of friends who keep pythons, chances are, one of them will be offered an exotic at one point or other. If you make it known that you might be interested in one, it won't be long before someone offers you one.
I would like to add that all this info is what i have gathered through online forums and from friends in Australia. I have been overseas for some years now and have no idea how things are in this present day. I have owned what people would term exotics but never in Australia, just overseas.

why are you generalising people in your post raist? who is to say those people will have contacts to get exotics? i have been around bikie clubs for most of my younger years and never once seen an exotic only saw one carpet and that was b4 licensing existed and before i knew about the keeping of herps in australia. a guy in sydney only last yr what received a 1000 dollar fine and a slap on the wrist after he had a big burm and a few others. not exactly the harsh punishment they talk about. there was also a guy in vic with exotics in his workshop and he only got a little fine and nothing else. there are alot of exotics out there being kept and traded as people dont care about the legal side of things.

Since when was it your theory. so it goes like this, Pick any name Motorcycle club. They control the , pick the drug of choice trade in an area that you deem to fit. They import drugs and weapons and exotic animals and take out native fauna.

its not a new theory and it has some credence but as an organised trade it wouldnt make a lot of money. Then again there was the 200 GTP eggs bought by 2 Australians in the US a year or so ago.
The easiest way is to load up your boat and sail to Indonesia. Then onsell from there.
Of course then theres the deep sea fishing boat story.

Ricko - didn't mean to come across as generalising bikies as bad hats, my own uncle is a bikie (albeit 'retired') and i love him. I've heard stories of how some of them would smuggle anything anyone wanted or needed. For a price. I consider him a reliable source.
The harsh penalties i was refering to were in regard to these "black market events" that mase was asking about. I meant that the penalties for organising an event of that kind would be waaaaay harsher than the penalties recieved by someone who was just caught with 1 or 2 animals.
I agree with you that the fines for individuals caught with a couple illegal pets is rather 'light'. Imagine if someone was caught having organised an illegal exotic meet and had a large number of exotic animals with him as well. The law would come down pretty hard on him.

Animal smuggling is organised crime the world over, second only to the drugs trade, no reason it is any different here than else where in the world, yes we have tight boarder security, but things will always get through.
You don't have to be in the hobby long before someone is offering you some type of exotic.
Personally I have kept exotic's for years in the UK, and am happy now to work with and keep the awesome aussies species available to me.
Yes, it is frustrating not to be able to buy white lipped pythons here when they are so freely available abroad, but you will never have it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back