Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1369

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
a friend of mine owns this snake and is wondering if she is a coastal carpet (was purchased as a coastal) or an intergrade???
Any input would be great
Thanks!

oooh, i'm no expert but those markings do have a diamond resemblance, don't they?? Interesting to see what the pros say..

pure coastals can look like that but so can intergrades.??
thats one of the major problems that arise from breeding sub-species etc together, certain animals,(even some pure), will always be in dought unless you know for sure where the line originally came from.

whats a hybrid and whats the difference between that and intergrade pls

hybrid is a cross between two animals. for example that looks like a Jungle X Diamond.

And intergrade is a natural occuring cross.

I would put my money on it being a Jungle or Coastal xDiamond.

IMO, you cant create a "intergrade" in captivity, Intergrades are a Natural locality animal, cant be compared to a man made hybrid.

If you could get pics of the parents you would have a better idea of what you have.

from what i can tell an intergrade is the naturally occurring crossing of two species eg around the area where coastals cease to live and diamonds begin you may find evidence of the two interbreeding, feel free to correct me if i am wrong!

my coastal

i have a pure coastal that look's different but isnt people say mine has diamond in it but she dosnt

Intergrades are not crosses of anything - they are a local colour form of carpet, and fill the space between where diamonds finish and coastal carpets begin. They are just a natural gradation that occurs on a particular part of the coast. There is no evidence that diamonds and coastals existed as separate entities in the south and north, and blended in the middle at some later time. They have probably been living in their range as long as coastals and diamonds have been in theirs.
I'm with Duga on this one tho, I'd say hybrid, but I have seen very similar "coastals" around Coffs Harbour.

Jamie.

I think it's a catalyst for conflict among reptile enthusiasts.

bannergreen.jpg

Show me your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back