Could someone please explain the petshop rules in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus_the_beardie

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the rules of buying reptiles in petshops in NSW, i know this must sound stupid but i want to understand fully.
Are you able to buy reptiles in petshops in other states then bring them back to NSW?

cheers Myles

not shaw but i dont think you can buy reptiles at the pet shops in n.s.w. you have to go to breeders or others.
you can only buy reptiles from pet shops interstate and bring them into n.s.w if you get an import permit and they have an export permit.

No you definately can't buy reptiles in nsw but as krusty said you can buy interstate with the appropriate licences. Your only allowed to advertise your reptiles for sale in pet shops etc, not public notice boards or anything like that. Not sure about other states on that though. Hope this helps mate :)

why is NSW different from the other states?

Zeus, if you read your licence it tells you a lot of stuff. One of th ethings it says is that you amy only advertise reptiles through a herp club. It also says that reptiles may not be sold through pet shops.

NPWS knows for sure that herps are sold through web sites like this one. Anecodely, they have stated that they see this site (and others like Herp shop) as a "herp club" so to speak. So they have no trouble with herps being advertised here (or on Herp Trader). Their main issue is with sites like Petlink that are not herp based.

Of course, they are aware that people sell on petlink, and have done so for many years now. They have taken no action. Although this is a question for the lawyers amongst us it is reasonable to assume that they see this as acceptable behavior short of them issuing a practice statement or something similar saying that it isn't.

and yes, you can buy from interstate pet shops (or anyone else for that matter) providing you have an import permit and they have an export permit. Just imagine trying to take a turtle across the Murray River!!!

I also understand that the NSW system is about to undergo a major overhaul. They are tight lipped but initially I think they will be changing licensing to be based around the number of herps you keep. So a keeper with only 1 herp will have a different licence to a person like me who has, say 3 herps.

and then there is an election next March that may change all that again.

I also understand that the NSW system is about to undergo a major overhaul. They are tight lipped but initially I think they will be changing licensing to be based around the number of herps you keep. So a keeper with only 1 herp will have a different licence to a person like me who has, say 3 herps.

and then there is an election next March that may change all that again.[/quote]

g'day Pete
do you mind sharing some info on this

Thats all I know mate. and I may be totally wrong. I am only speculating from what Jeff told me long long ago

Pete, you dont need to take a turtle across the Murray River, They've got plenty of bridges. Take your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back