Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustHerps

Reaction score
Or who is in the process of getting ready to keep? Would love to hear some tales.

To get the ball rolling...

My fist ven experience involved my nearly stepping on a blacksnake in Ballarat. I shreiked like a little girl, jumped, and literally ran home. I was about 12. Pretty tough huh? :oops:

After keeping various pythons, dragons, and skinks for about a year and a half, my interest was drawn towards venomous snakes. Previously, I had always sworn I'd never keep them. You'd have to be an idiot wouldn't you? Pfft who'd want to keep animals that can't be handled, that always want to kill you? Still, my newfound interest had me glued to my computer, perusing forum after forum, reading website after website. Finally, I emailed a few of the more 'well-known' herpers to ask for advice. Most replied with helpful advice, and one replied inviting me around to his to have a look and get some handling experience.

After about 10 hours of handling experience, it was soon apparent that there is only so much handling and reading that one can do. I bit the bullet, and finally found a pair of collett's snakes available for sale from a guy in Townsville. The trip home from the airport was the longest trip ever. Once they were into their new enclosure, I sat, and watched them, in awe, still not believing that I finally had venomous snakes.

Not long after, I picked up a redbelly. Following not long after that, a tiger, and a death adder. It was so apparent that each ven is so different. Up until now, I'd been pretty lucky. All my vens were a breeze, never giving me any hassles, always hooking easily, being overall well behaved. Still, the bug had bitten.

A few months following that, a friend of mine had some eastern browns for sale. Yep, a challenge, but one I believed I was up for. I was very conscious at the time of how fast I was getting into the deep end. But, at the same time confident in my abilities (yet not to the extent of being cocky). A week later, the browns were sitting warily in their new homes. Now these encapsulated everything the ven 'rumours' mention. They were flightly, difficult to handle, and aggressive. Admittedly, my heart raced every time the enclosure doors were open (and, to an extent, still does now!).

After a time, that want retured. I suppose one way of describing it was that dream that every person has in some aspect of their life of that moment they reach the holy grail. Then, for me, the holy grail was the taipan. It wasn't long before I was unpacking the most venomous snake in the world, right at my own house. In my experience (at least up until now), the taipans are far easier to deal with than the browns. Yes, they are very intelligent animals. But, IMO, a brown is far more likely to land its fangs in you.

I know I moved very quickly through the venomous hierarchy. Some say I was stupid. Some could see I was a competant keeper. It's a matter of stance, and in herps, there's always a difference of opinion!

So, how did you get into vens? What was it that spurred you on? Was there a specific moment that you decided "yep, I'm doing this"? Or is it something that you lie in bed at nighttime wanting for? Let's here some stories :D

Cheers,
Austy.

ok my class 1 licence hasn't evern arrived yet, but I was reading your story and my boyfriend turned and looked at me and said
"No way. Not now, not ever!"
It wasn't on the books but if it happens it happens

Hum, I kept a childrens python (that was given to me as it was unwanted) when i was a young takka, just recently bought a jungle carpet, but i "lie in bed at nighttime wanting for" a ven, hopefully not that long in the future, i think i'd be satisfied with a death adder, but saying such things may be very naieve as we commonly call it "the herp bug", and it bites deep.
I know two snakes probably isnt as much experiance as much would like to see, and i'd agree, as im EAGERLY trying to get experiance in ven keeping and whatnot, let this be a cry for help also if anyone in cairns would like to give me a few tips and pointers in person just drop me a pm or email :), I was going to approach "Stuart" from the "Australian venomous zoo" in the not too distant future...

But yeah, I'd love to keep vens, but it's not practial given my current experiance with them and wildlife permits :)

copperhead, bunch of kids with rocks who had told me the bluetongue that Id stopped them from killing a few weeks earlier was poisonous and would kill me.
Well they were wrong about that so maybe they were wrong again. Grabbed it, shoved it in my jumper and took off with it. Had it for about six months till my dad saw it and made me get rid of it. Always wanted them from then on.
I dont keep cat 3 vens because I had to compromise with my wife on it. I miss those brownies though.

Not much as in personally keeping them, but a few friends who keep Easterns, Red Bellys and Tigers. Totally fascinating animals!!! One day I'll look into either a RBB or a Tiger...or maybe a Copperhead...oh Geeez...maybe one of those Speckled Browns, what a peice of work those are! :D

You're heading into a fascinating area of herpetology for sure - be safe and good luck! :D (ps: remember to post some pics! ;) :lol:)

moosenoose said:
(ps: remember to post some pics! ;) :lol:)

Here's a few old ones, I hope to get some new shots tomorrow :D

Eastern Brown

Ivan.jpg

Collett's Snake

Collettmale.jpg

Death Adder

DeathAdder2.jpg

Tiger

DSC01205s.jpg

Taipans

DSC01179small.jpg

DSC01183small.jpg

Cheers,
Austy.

Keeping Vens here in the Netherlands is kinda a double edged sword.
On the one hand you don't need licences and stuff ( maybe a local permit but that's it )
But on the other hand there is only just recently started a anti venine bank so although getting vens is no big deal , getting to anti venom incase of a bite is.
So although i'm fascinated by the idea of starting a ven collection i'm terrified at starting one aswell.

I wonder how things are overthere , considering the anti venom.

Dutchy said:
So although i'm fascinated by the idea of starting a ven collection i'm terrified at starting one aswell.

Sounds like the perfect explaination Dutchy! I whole-heartedly agree! :wink:

I love the photos AustHerps! That taipan is a stunner! :shock: :D......as so are the others :wink:

When i get my own place i am definately getting some death adders! they are on the to buy list for sure!

Thanks moose

Anyone that is still debating if they're ready to start a ven collection are deffinately not ready yet but well on their way to becoming so . ;) ( JMO anyway :D)

If your not still debating when you go to get your first ven your being rash.

i was only talking about this today with my family,
i love adders but was told today that no way i'll ever
be getting them, lol , thats ok as 5 years ago mum
said no snakes, now between us we have over 40, lol,
i just have to wait and wait and get my licence to keep
them and then we will see............

It's not a question of "If" for me, i feel anyway, its more of a "When", I just need the damed handleing experience! :oops: :(

I should be asleep right now as I have work at 6am, but I'm lying in bed stareing at the roof thinking of vens :twisted:

It's not a question of "If" for me, i feel anyway, its more of a "When", I just need the damed handleing experience!
Meaning you think you're suitable for starting a ven collection or you gonna have a ven collection, period ?
Handling vens isn't quite the same as handling snakes in general is what i heard from experienced ven keepers mate , but then again i'm no ven keeper myself (yet ( maybe)) :oops:

As I said before, I don't feel I'm ready for a collection as such, or even one at the moment, But I'll do everything within my power (within reason) to get the experience and appropriate things to own a ven, and maybe even a "collection" one day.

I know handleing vens isnt like handleing pythons, as you don't *generally* "handle" vens. (as you would with a python, let them sit on your head and whatnot)

But yeah, Its an aim for the hopefully not so distant future (obviously time frame isn't able to be made untill i actually start handleing em)

And now I'm going to have another attempt at sleep :)

Still cant sleep, but comeing back to the pc and looking at ven pics/info isnt helping *turns pc off* nite mate :)

Cheers
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back