Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AGAMIDAE

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I think slatey thats a Pogona vitticeps... cna we get the picture larger thanks...so we can have a closure look?

I was having doubts as well.

However my biggest concern about the last picture was that fact that it was based around luck, not knowledge. Shoulnd't the comp be based on knowledge?

Cheers Alex

I amnot too concern on the luck thing really..but the right species/ answer is a concern...

Re: RE: Pogona species in the Southern cross comp...

ether said:
I was having doubts as well.

However my biggest concern about the last picture was that fact that it was based around luck, not knowledge. Shoulnd't the comp be based on knowledge?

Cheers Alex

Well it is a guessing competition...

RE: Re: RE: Pogona species in the Southern cross comp...

Yeh that is ture, but the knowledge not luck thing is just my opinion.

Why is readysell on 6 points?

Because they got all 6 q's right. same as the other two guys on 6 i guess.

Doesen't say he got question 6 right

On that pogona question a guessed too, could have been any of them.....but its a vittie so this needs to be cleared up...and to be honest I cant remember which pogona i said it was...but sure i said vittie...and thats what it is.

pretty sure i said barbaratta (spelling?)... I got it right, apparently :D

And yeah that's a good point Ether...

I agree Mark, I also thought it was a vittie, and by that photo I am pretty convinced it is a vitticeps. Even from that angle the head looks like a vittie and not a barbata and the pattern IMO is not much like a barbata either. I did say it was a vitticeps, not that it will do me much good, as I forgot to answer half the Q's......LOL

Marc I agree but the pic doesn't show it well enough to tell for me either. Even though it would be called an eastern at the zoo, I have seen many display animals with the wrong classification.

Shoulnd't the comp be based on knowledge?
If its based on knowledge then people new to the hobby wouldn't be able to get involved, I think the comp is good because anyone can join in. Some of the early questions like "what state is the stumpy from?" did require a bit of knowledge and or research to answer.

i shall be interested to see how this turns out .... i answered vitticeps too

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pogona species in the Southern cross comp...

hugsta said:
forgot to answer half the Q's......LOL

LOL...I started answering the question at the brown tree snake haha, and stuffed if i know what the next one is but I gave it a good guess...lol

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pogona species in the Southern cross com

If its based on knowledge then people new to the hobby wouldn't be able to get involved, I think the comp is good because anyone can join in.

If the questions are going to get harder and harder as the comp goes, especially the 3 pointers at the end, then i would think that people new to the hobby will stand little chance of guessing the right animal.

Cheers Alex

I'm no gun at bearded dragons but i reckon that even seeing the entire photo still wouldn't have made this guess any more than just a guess. About the only one that i think could be discounted with that photo is the pygmy's.

the question asked for the species and not the sub species.....
so i answered Pogona... thats the species yeah?
and barbatta or vitticeps is the subspecies yeah? or am i just plain wrong?

I made the same mistake TX-III.
The genus is actually Pogona. But if you look in any dictionary Specie as it was listed actually refers to coin money.
Species on the otherhand is"any of the taxonomic groups into which a genus is divided, the members of which are capable of interbreeeding" it mentions a fwe other meanings alon the same lines.
The other problem I found was "no subspecies required". Logically I thought the only pogona sp. with subspecies is Pogona minor, so went with that.

Maybe questions should be more specific?

Daniel

nope Pogona barbata and Pogona Vitticeps are species not subspecies, Pogona is the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back