OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

RIRDC is the Rural Industries Reserch and Development Corporation. They levy Rural Industries thru government legilation for RandD. The levies are normally production based such as per tranfer like Peter suggested in Queensland. If levies are production based the larger breeders pay more and the smaller ones less. There may be a threshold before any levy applies to help out the pet owners.
Most of the states already have a transfer system in place so enforcement should be easy. Of course you'll get the bludgers who wont want to contribute. but that happens with any cash business. RIRDIC normally give dollar fordollar grants but the leadtime for legislation is slow. Once established funds can be applied to other project which effect the industry. We realy need someone like an enthusiastic accountant to lead the charge to lobby for such a scheme

RE: Re: RE: OPMV Testing Machine - Funding Option

Do we know any enthusiastic accountants ?

;)

I'd pay more than $10 to have this available. How can you put a price on your herps.

Something needs to be done about OPMV to contain it and if it's done well eradication is possible (but with black markets and overseas imports of exotics etc, it's not likely).

You will never get rid of opmv, for two reasons, people cover it up and don't do what is needed to to get rid of it properly.

black market is worth too much money to stop it.

how many exotic busts are there each year? for everyone that is removed, it is almost like another two pop up in it's place.

There is already two machines in aust that can test dead animals.

as for live animals, i beleive the american one for testing for live animals is still in test phase, and not 100% at this stage.

I don't know what OPMV is. I shall do some reading up on the topic. Howevere, $10 bucks or more would be no problem from me. I will have snakes again next year.

A Perth based vet is preparing to undertake his PhD studies into these snake viruses, and paying particular attention to OPMV. There are various hurdles to be cleared along the way, but I believe there is cause for optimism in the med-long term, however, it is not a quick-fix. We just have to be patient, because there is a vast amount of background work to be done.

Don't know anything about a machine, but if one exists, it gets my vote...

Jamie.

I'm not sure why anyone would have voted no to this.

Peter, you say such a machine exists, yet Geckodan says it doesn't.

We are not talking about a machine here but a scientific testing procedure utilising unique reagents developed by a specific institute which will remain the intellectual property of that institution until such time as they decide to make it into a "machine". Its not something you can buy and sell. Several Veterinary institutes are all competing to be the first one to do it properly as with all new "wonder drugs" and testing methods.They will test for anyone in the US as every test supports their research but they are not about to give away any secrets no more than a drug company will publish its secret recipe until it has patented it and made its money. In addition, because the test uses animal products (antibodies derived from snake viral material) it cannot be imported and we cannot export our australian biochemical material to test it without special quarantine clearance (which is allowed only a couple of times a year for very special reasons). Forget the CSIRO, DPI, AQIS. They have much bigger fish to fry - Avian Influenza, Newcastle disease etc.
There is already two machines in aust that can test dead animals
More accurately there are two pathology companies that we trust to get it right, again its not a machine but a procedure.

I like it when a veterinarian puts everybody in their place. Anything to do with testing blood is a procedure. Do yourselves a favour and spend the $200 on the Douglas Mader book called reptile mediscine and surgery. It has a whole section on any disease in reptiles. Dont beleive peoples opinions and crap that gets published on the internet. This book has been written by world renowned veterinarians, there are too many bloody opinions around!!!!!

There is a reprint my good man. Was released about 3 months ago, everything is updated. You mean you did not know?

OPMV Test

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tim Hyndman and this is my first message on this website. I am the one mentioned on the previous OPMV thread (O.P.M.V. O.M.G.) by John and later Jamie in relation to establishing a test for OPMV. I will be working full time to develop a test at Murdoch University in Perth over the next 2.5 years. The project started in March of this year (2006). I am confident we will be able to get something going. But be warned everyone, it could be quite some time until the test is readily available to all. I have given myself the username of Switzerland because I want to maintain complete neutrality and discretion throughout my project as I am fully aware of the sensitivities involved in this area. I want to speak to the people who have had significant problems in this area, as these will be the people who may have access to snake samples that will help with the development of this test. I want these people to know that if discussing these matters with me, they will be afforded the strictest of confidence.

Sadly, we all enjoy keeping animals as part of a hobby that is dwarfed by dogs, cats, horses, farm animals and even birds. Unfortunately, this also extends into both the reptile veterinary medicine and reptile research worlds; these worlds are simply small. This is why there are almost no people working on this disease in Australia and only a select few working on this disease worldwide.

At a later stage I will provide details of how we anticipate the test will work. But for now, let me just say we must all have patience and maintain cool heads during this turbulent time in the snake keeping game.

Tim.

Thanks for leaping on and clearing up some grey areas for us Tim. I, and I know pretty much everyone, will be keeping our eyes and ears open re your research and would really appreciate updates as you get them. :)

PM me if you need any QLD assistance at all.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back