Thorny Devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can't find them on the licencing info. can we keep them?

Nope afraid not almost impossible to keep as also need a decent ant colony. I think they are only kept in captivity in two locations in Aust. There was a thread about it not so long ago.

thanks for that, i'll see if i can find it.

Can anyone direct me to this thread? I'd be interested in reding it as i know a few people with them (dont bother to PM me cause i cant give out there info)

type in thorny devils in the search and it is about the 3rd thread down.

Jen,
Yes, you can keep them on the NSW licensing system. All species of reptiles (excluding crocodiles, sea-turtles and sea-snakes) are permitted to be kept in NSW through the DEC (aka NPWS) licensing system.

There are 2 classes of licence. Class 1 (basic) and Class 2 (which also has different endorsement levels for certain species of venomous snakes).

The NPWS website should still have a file which lists what class of licence you require for a large number of species. This list does not include every Australian species of reptile as it was compiled before the decision was made (I think this was 2004) that allowed every species to be kept.

For information on what Class a particular species is, you can contact DEC. I am pretty sure you'll find that Thorny Devils are Class 2.

Now, after going through all of that, if you can find (and adequately house and feed) some, all the luck to you!!

Simon Archibald

class 2 is way too advanced for me, they are so cool looking though!

If you hunt a bit further through the archives you'll find there's been half a dozen threads on Thorny Devils over the past couple of years - with good info and some great pics. Also try searching for the word 'Moloch'.

:p

Hix

You can keep thorny devils in NSW but as with any species thats not on the NSW list you have to be able to prove it came from a licensed interstate keeper. I'm not sure that anyone in NSW keeps them.

Besides all that, they are a high maitenance lizard and anyone thinking of keeping them should think seriously about it before getting any.
I have heard rumors from various people that keepers have weaned them onto to pinhead crickets and small roaches but of the few people i know that keep them they say it's just not possible. They pretty much put them out on an ant trail everyday in a mesh cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back