Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
both! just save your pennies and get both to hard to choose! the GTP's are so beautiful yet, so are the albinos!

i would love to get hold of the mac the snakeranch has, if i was to keep any other albinos i would try and buy one of them of john, if they become available

Depends on what your are looking for. An albino has all of the behaviours and habits of the wild type. Like an albino olive will behave like a normal olive.

I appreciate interesting and rare morphs but I wouldn't buy them. I'd get GTPs and with spare change (relatively speaking) buy some darwins and olives for their behaviour and personality.

Thre are lots of albino olives and carpets, but they are being held by the breeders to control the market - if they're anything like the albino Burmese in the states, they will be more common on the market than normal coloured ones within 10 years. GTPs, carefully bred, still command quite high prices in the US & Europe.

You have really missed the window of opportunity for those two species of albinos - there are a lot of animals coming up to breeding age at this time, the numbers will increase exponentially in the next few years and the prices will drop substantially.

Jamie.

I would buy the Albino Darwins because i love albinos and normal darwins.

Also the fact that other morphs exist already in Darwins, it gives something extra to play with in the future.

Matt

also, i know albino is a recessive gene, but if u were to get a breeding pair, not 100% of hatchies would be albino, where as with GTPs, then they would all be GTPs :p

just be extra careful your getting a GTP not a GTS. u could breed 2 gtps, then sell a clutch and buy 2 albinos. GTPs are prettier aswell :p some albinos dont look nice, where as all GTPs do.

Have a look at this site, very interesting and some nice photo's. I love the price, all GBP375 or about $1000. If you aren't in a hurry just wait a couple of years and they will be getting close to that here. They can produce sizeable clutches, aren't that hard to breed and more and more people are doing it.
Like I said it's much of a muchnuss, they will pretty much follow each other price wise over the next ten years as has been the case overseas.
http://www.greentreepythons.co.uk/home.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
definatly a hatchie GTP so i can watch the colour change as it get's older and then you will have a very rare snake JMO

one thing I think has been left out of this discussion is CARE. Albino carpets/olives/maccies are a hell of a lot easier to care for and breed and sex than GTP's. Just another factor to consider.
jas

Albino carpets/olives/maccies are a hell of a lot easier to care for and breed and sex than GTP's.

If you're aware of the requirements of GTPs they present no more difficulty than the other species you mention. They are effectively only an arboreal carpet with a need for higher humidity and a generally more stable temperature management regime. Neither of these things is difficult to supply. The main problem until fairly recently has been successful incubation of eggs, but even that has been pretty much sorted now, and there is plenty of information out there about that.

Jamie.

Chad, Just for the record if you breed a male and female albino olive you will end up with 100% albino offspring. The difficulty in predictions comes with possible hetrozygose matings where the parent animal may carry an albino gene or may not.
The number of albino olives in Australia, or for that matter the world, can be counted on your fingers and toes and they are spread between 0 to 5 years. There are 2 breeding age females at present.
We have both GTPS and albino olives. Certainly the albinos are easier to look after and more interactive. As for looks well I'll leave that up to you.

I would definately go an Alb Darwin pr 1st, then try the lottery toget the GTP pr. By that time they will be 3K ea and a few more colour variation to choose from:shock: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back